Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at coming up with a way to set up ABS on this ground up car project. I have in my parts list wheel hubs with the speed sensors, the ABS valve block, and so now the question is finding a way to go about controlling the valve block. Does anyone know what the signal voltage is on the Corvette wheel speed sensors, what the amp requirements are on average for the solenoids in the brake valves and for the motor on the block? I'm thinking if the signal voltage is low enough, about five or ten volts or so, I could use an Arduino for the control and relays for triggering the solenoids and motor. Sorry if there's a thread about this already.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
105 Posts
What year car are the parts off of? Early systems used a separate computer to run the system, later years the system was run by the engine management computer. The controller/computer generates it's own reference voltage (typically 5V), it generates a ground for relays to operate the solenoids and motor.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I'm not a big fan of proportioning valves in the brake system because it wasn't designed for my application. A '32 roadster with big and littles as well as much lighter can't use a valve from a 1988 belchfire 8 with skinny tiers and twice as much weight. Same applies to an ABS system. Once the tires are different, weight different then, in my way of thinking, an ABS system will not work properly. That said, it will be interesting to see if you can pull it off and make a system that works. Keep us updated.

·
Old(s) Fart
5,830 Posts
I'm not a big fan of proportioning valves in the brake system because it wasn't designed for my application. A '32 roadster with big and littles as well as much lighter can't use a valve from a 1988 belchfire 8 with skinny tiers and twice as much weight. Same applies to an ABS system. Once the tires are different, weight different then, in my way of thinking, an ABS system will not work properly. That said, it will be interesting to see if you can pull it off and make a system that works. Keep us updated.
^^^THIS! The software in the ABS was designed and tested for a specific vehicle with a specific set of wheel loads. Change that and what confidence do you have that it will work correctly? Sorry, this is a BAAAAD idea. More to the point, why do it? If you feel the wheels start to lock, modulate the pressure your foot is applying to the pedal. ABS is for people who don't have the awareness to know if the wheels are locked or not.

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,470 Posts
Exactly. Best braking occurs just before lockup.
Anti lock seems like less braking to me.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What year car are the parts off of? Early systems used a separate computer to run the system, later years the system was run by the engine management computer. The controller/computer generates it's own reference voltage (typically 5V), it generates a ground for relays to operate the solenoids and motor.
I'm gonna be using parts off a c7 Corvette, specifically the wheel hub assemblies, control arms, and then aftermarket units for the spindles, coil overs, and sway bars

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
^^^THIS! The software in the ABS was designed and tested for a specific vehicle with a specific set of wheel loads. Change that and what confidence do you have that it will work correctly? Sorry, this is a BAAAAD idea. More to the point, why do it? If you feel the wheels start to lock, modulate the pressure your foot is applying to the pedal. ABS is for people who don't have the awareness to know if the wheels are locked or not.
This car is going to be a testbed for a small production car with a smaller, less powerful engine and so I'm thinking about what will be done to keep some rich kid who can't drive for **** and needs ABS to keep them safe

·
Old(s) Fart
5,830 Posts
This car is going to be a testbed for a small production car with a smaller, less powerful engine and so I'm thinking about what will be done to keep some rich kid who can't drive for **** and needs ABS to keep them safe
Unless you're planning on creating new software and conducting the same level of testing that the OEMs did in the first place, what you are doing is the opposite of "keeping them safe". Spend your money on liability insurance. You'll need it with that plan.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Unless you're planning on creating new software and conducting the same level of testing that the OEMs did in the first place, what you are doing is the opposite of "keeping them safe". Spend your money on liability insurance. You'll need it with that plan.
The way I understand how the software works is that it compares wheel speed sensor inputs and detects when it reaches a certain low point that signals near lockup and modulates hydraulic pressure, is that not the case? IIRC all I'd change from my version and the production version are the engine and some of the safety equipment like the fire suppression system, parachutes, and potentially the front splitter

·
Old(s) Fart
5,830 Posts
The way I understand how the software works is that it compares wheel speed sensor inputs and detects when it reaches a certain low point that signals near lockup and modulates hydraulic pressure, is that not the case? IIRC all I'd change from my version and the production version are the engine and some of the safety equipment like the fire suppression system, parachutes, and potentially the front splitter
Pretty much every ABS system built in the last 20 years also incorporates a "virtual proportioning valve" function.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Pretty much every ABS system built in the last 20 years also incorporates a "virtual proportioning valve" function.
Is there any way to adjust the parameters in a modern ABS controller? Or with the c7 Corvette is the module on the valve block effectively a solid state relay block and the brains of the system in one of the other modules like the ECM or TCM?

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,470 Posts
Parachutes? Flying car?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts