Hot Rod Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts
curtis73,,

That's not a bad price for a oem frame. Fish Plates can be easily added to both sides of the rear kick-up for added strength. And metal for bracing here and there is inexpensive, but requires a little careful thought. BUT, must faster and easier than a new frame.

I added Fish plates on the front overlapping the front sus cross member and past the engine side motor mounts up to the B pillar and also the Rear Kick Up in my '37 Chevy build. This was very easy, just needed many large clamps, well wore the effort.

Am I correct in thinking this year / model has a triangulated rear suspension w control arms to the Diffy ??.

PM, okay..

Michael

Ah Triangulated rear suspension, I though so, my personal favorite for a solid Diffy Housing. OEM Triangulated rear suspension has the advantage of being pretty much all set up for a little more HP. Lots of options too.

There's a lot of available info on front & rear sus upgrades and bracing, even pre-fabricated kits, for this cars oem frame. Your driving habits and how this car used, street, strip or both is the major deciding factor. Me, I'd never ever Race a car like this too rare and special. However there are somewhat minor changes low to moderate $$ cost that can / will make significant safety and driving comfort and don't require massive hours to complete.

Adding bracing and mods to an OEM frame is a Cake Walk compared to fab'g a new frame. You could get some 2x4 inch @ 0.125 wall rectangular tubing from a surplus store and Fab up a rectangular frame table. A few corners braces and a center cross member, set it up on good Jack Stands Tacked in place. Then you have a working height and means to secure your frame for improvements. Beats bending over and a means to measure accurately. I've done this a few times with new but rusty surplus tubing, works well and isn't so fatiguing.

M

21 - 23 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.