Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a little help, getting down to the last few things on my c4 Engine Swap.. and needless to say i am not putting the original Serpentine system back on the engine.
Looking at a all inclusive March system, will link a pic. My plan was to get a kit with optional AC, and get an aftermarket compressor (needs new anyway) and then it comes with an older style Saginaw power steering pump.
I don't have much experience with converting pulleys so curious if there are any obvious roadblocks. The C4 has a steering pump with external reservoir. are there any issues converting it to the pump that comes with system? I know the stock pump is good but would have to change pulley anyway so just figured i would replace etc.
The ac i may disconnect and have the new compressor and brackets to install after initial tune etc.
Thanks for any help!

Attachments

·
the 'Duracell Project'
2,519 Posts
if you chose to go with the last picture and V-belts, you'll need to change the water pump
serpentine uses a reverse rotation pump, v-belt uses standard rotation
i checked out march pulleys as they were local to me, it would have cost me $2000 plus
i ended up using v-belts and made my own brackets, my brackets are a little industrial looking
38,000 miles with no v-belt related problems

Automotive fuel system Automotive tire Motor vehicle Yellow Automotive design

Hood Motor vehicle Car Yellow Automotive exterior

Vehicle Car Hood Automotive lighting Light

·
Registered
150 Posts
As mentioned by orge make sure you use the correct direction water pump, I swapped mine when I deleted the AC & air pump & reversed it. Also I put on a UD crank & alt, still got a UD thridgen water pump pulley that's not on yet, I'll need to shim a bit to make right.

A lot of C4 guys delete the air pump with a march bracket & adjustable rod(ebay has an entire kit that cost pretty much the same as those two these days).

If I ever finally go electric power steering pump, I may use some short pump style V belt pulleys since I have a better selection of those sizes.

There are 3 SBC V belt pulley types, long water pump, short water pump and corvette. I also have a C3 corvette that now has short style pulleys w/o the corvette tax.

Automotive fuel system Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Fuel tank

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. Yeah the kit i am looking at comes with all of the pumps. It is around 800$ and has the water pump, power steering pump, alternator etc.. I figured the water pump was already the reverse style being existing serpentine.. but it comes with a new one anyway. I could also use an old style water pump and put a groove-side serpentine pulley on it and run exisitng power steering with adjustable driver side alternator bracket. I guess that may be more cost effective. But i don't mind spending the 800 and having a nice clean setup. It would have an older style power steering pump which i don't guess would cause any problems. I also am considering possibilities of elec water pump and/or power steering and then have a very simple setup.. possibly just crank/alternator.. would be kinda neat and different but redoing all of the electrical is next on the agenda. I went with Sniper EFI and got rid of all the tuned port and accessories etc.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I did a swap with a 96 LT1 and couldn't use the stock brackets. Alan Grove makes several conversions to adapt serpentine belts and is the simplest, least expensive option I could find. I ended up making my own brackets pretty much copying what he makes using 1/4" steel plate and 3/8" ID standoffs. Not as pretty as some of the polished billet systems available, but just as functional at a fraction of the cost.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts