Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
please help me here guys; I've always used GM's HEI distributors because they're great; very big spark, very affordable, very user friendly, very simple. they're also very big and will not work with my tunnel ram. so for the first time ever I'm looking at distributors and ignition systems. I was shocked to find they still sell points style distributors. now I don't want to get into a discussion about how much fun it is to set your points, and change your points, and play with your points; let me just say I've done all that and points are not for me. so....
I looked into the MSD billet distributors with their control boxes, ballast resistors, and coils, which, although spread out all over your firewall, are twice as big as my HEI, six times as expensive, and ten times as complicated. and wow if you want to hook up a tach, since my understanding is you must first buy an adapter and it's a bit of a gamble that it will work with your tach without burning something up. from the threads I read on the Mallory Unilite, it's just as expensive/complicated as the MSD. All I want is an affordable, simple, electronic distributor, that I can easily hook a tach to, that throws a big spark and never lets me down; you know, just like my HEI, only a tad smaller. surely this is not too much to ask in this day and age? anybody?? doc vette?? :(

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Doc here, :pimp:

Try Here:

MSD Ignitions

If you can't find one to work there , Drop an Email to Dave's Small Body HEI's in Nevada, He can build you one..

Dave's

Doc :pimp:

·
Glad To Be Here
2,240 Posts
I had a similar concern a while back. Mine was about clearing the firewall. I purchased a small cap HEI. Picture below. It is designed to use a separate coil, rather than the coil in the cap. Problem for me was that the HEI module is installed in a cannister (not seen in the picture) that is attached to the rear side of the main body. It protruded out just as much as if I used a stock HEI cap and distributor. Thus, I never have used this distributor. I went ahead and modified my firewall to clear a stock HEI. Clearing the firewall is not the answer for you. I paid slightly more ($197) for this distributor than what Dave's Small Body conversions are (around $180), but he also needs a core (which I didn't have).

It also has vacuum advance.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts