Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Analog man in a digital world.
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The replacement piston I needed arrived and in the transition from TRW to Speed Pro they changed them a little. 11 grams heavier and the pin height is .020" different. Plus I found another one of my TRW's with corrosion pitting on the skirt, it's probably usable but with the difference between the set and the replacement I'm slightly SOL already. So, do I sell the 6 good ones on eBay to somebody building a blown or turbo'd 4.3 like in a GMC Syclone and buy 7 more Speed Pros or do I go ahead and by Keith Black 28cc D-cups for a 5.7 rod 383? I already have a NIB Scat 383 crank for the 1 Pc. rear main block and my 350 crank needs turned. The KB's are a LOT cheaper and the extra bottom end TQ from the stroker would be nice in the PU. Ohhhh my brain HURTS! :rolleyes:

·
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DHMag said:
id rather buy a matched set.
So would I and after looking over the Speed Pro I'm not that thrilled with it compared to the old TRW's. The D-cup is off center and the inside of the cup is very rough compared to the TRW's. It's going back.

Here's my worst TRW........

The other one is very minor compared to this one. Since this is an 8.6 to 1 low RPM daily driver I'm tempted to take my chances and use them as-is. They are forged, the pits are not on the thrust side of the piston, it will never see the high side of 5200 and will never see a blower or turbo. The pitting in the ring land doesn't bother me, look at all the stroker pistons where the pin bore breaks into the land. I'm running a HUGE radiator with an oil cooler so it should never get hot. Whatcha' think guys, should I risk it? It's these or K-B Hyper's because I am NOT liking what I saw on the Speed-Pro and if I stick with the 355 I need at least a 21.5cc cup and 28cc for a 383 and I can't spend 5 or 600 on pistons right now. $300 tops.

Or anybody have a couple NOS TRW ( NOT Spped-Pro ) L-2441 .030 overs they'd like to donate? :mwink:

·
floppers forever
788 Posts
those pits will just be a start to boring the engine and new pistons in the near future.
? would you rather spend the money now or more later and do a complete rebuild?
the k-b would be what i would put in just for the fact that you can't aford forged right now.keep in mind that a daily driver is not that if it don't run.

·
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well so far you guys have told me what I expected to hear and already knew in the back of my mind. Looks like I shell out for the KB's and then hope I stumble across some more TRW's later on to have enough for a future 355 or find somebody building a forced induction 4.3 V-6......... I knew things had been going too good on this project, something was bound to screw up.

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Probe makes some -22cc pistons for your application. I have never used them but have heard good things. I am not a big fan of the KB pistons...dont like the high placement of the top ring and the need for a larger gap.

·
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
GMC boogie said:
Probe makes some -22cc pistons for your application.

Thanks, I had checked them before and they don't list their "2441" pistons on their website but I found them at a couple places on line for $330 a set. Said they are the same configuration as the TRW 2441's but lighter, they list their's at 20.4cc but that's close enough and I don't think another $30 will hurt much worse. :thumbup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.