Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
I smell like a hotrod!
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to order my airbags, and have a choice of 1/2" or 3/8" ports. Has anyone had experience with different port sized bags?
I guess my main concern is how fast compressing is one bag over the other?

·
Registered
37 Posts
common sense the 1/2 is gonna compress faster and lift faster than the 3/8's

ive order all 3/8's for my van since im not worried about how fast it works and 3/8's is cheaper

·
Registered
157 Posts
port size

I just ordered my air bag set up also. After alot of research the answers I got were the 1/2 in ports will rise & deflate faster. However they are a bit harder to tune ( adjust in one pound increments ) I ordered the 3/8 inch since Im looking for ride quality vs. entering any slammin contest.
Hope this helps

·
I smell like a hotrod!
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah I knew the 1/2" would fill faster, but I was trying to gauge if it was for example 3 second fill on 1/2" and 30 second fill on 3/8"....doesn't seem like that much but I don't want to purchase the 3/8 and have it appear to raise at the speed of grass growing.

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
I have the smaller ports and it takes maybe 4-6 seconds to lift my truck off the snubbers up to ride height. I've seen guys with the 1/2" ports and they are up in about a second or two.

One thing to keep in mind, if you don't get a large enough storage tank you still might have a time delay getting your bags inflated no matter what size ports & lines that you use since the pump may have to switch on if you deplete all the stored air. So don't scrimp on the tank size in favor or larger ports/lines. They all must be sized correctly to get a speedy lift.

·
I smell like a hotrod!
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you guys ....that was the answer's I was looking for. I'm going with a 4 pump hydraulic system so I can keep one wheel off the ground.....ok maybe not. I am ordering the 1/2" ports. all the way around.

·
Registered
37 Posts
RodFather said:
Thank you guys ....that was the answer's I was looking for. I'm going with a 4 pump hydraulic system so I can keep one wheel off the ground.....ok maybe not. I am ordering the 1/2" ports. all the way around.
you only need 3 for that

www.hydrohookup.com i got a good deal on a 3 pump setup :D

i sell air stuff too but i have to call for prices on that stuff :thumbup:

·
Registered
138 Posts
Hey guys,
the port size doesn't matter too too much i don't think, i have 1/4" npt ports on my bags, but with 1/2" line and 1/2" valves, it lifts in about a second and drops even faster, with mufflers on the dumps. I just got a 1/2" npt to 1/4" npt reducer fitting, and the orifice was almost exactly the same as just putting the 1/2" fitting straight in. Before i upgraded it all to 1/2" i had everything at 1/4"... with manual valves, talk about slow! I have some videos of my car with 1/2" line and 1/4" ports if you want to see, let's see if it works...
wheel
1/2" line

Don't mind the slowing down on the lifts, it's because i only have 4 gallons of air stored, hopefully more soon! Good luck! hope the info helps.

~Frank~

·
Registered
37 Posts
flamedfordbronco said:
Hey guys,
the port size doesn't matter too too much i don't think, i have 1/4" npt ports on my bags, but with 1/2" line and 1/2" valves, it lifts in about a second and drops even faster, with mufflers on the dumps. I just got a 1/2" npt to 1/4" npt reducer fitting, and the orifice was almost exactly the same as just putting the 1/2" fitting straight in. Before i upgraded it all to 1/2" i had everything at 1/4"... with manual valves, talk about slow! I have some videos of my car with 1/2" line and 1/4" ports if you want to see, let's see if it works...
wheel
1/2" line

Don't mind the slowing down on the lifts, it's because i only have 4 gallons of air stored, hopefully more soon! Good luck! hope the info helps.

~Frank~
got any of the old stuff laying around?? im not looking for a fast lift or drop just the availability to do so :D

·
Registered
138 Posts
Hey Chuck,
I did keep the old stuff, but i think i'm going to keep it for a little while longer in case something goes wrong with all the new stuff i put in. If i decide that i'm going to get rid of it i'll let you know. but, if you use it... you'll have "air in the lines";) I'm lowriding 'lane on lil, i had to throw that one in there. How's the van coming?

~Frank~

1 - 12 of 12 Posts