Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
72NOVA454
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I don't have any air tools or an air tank. I do however have a decent 3/4 HP "tankless" air compressor that works pretty good. I would like to have a pneumatic air impact wrench for "occasional" use to break loose those very tight nuts that can be reached with a impact wrench.

Question: Can I get one of those small 5 gallon compressed air tanks, fill it up to like 50-75 psi, then use it for a few seconds to break loose a nut or two with the impact wrench? I don't know how much air those impact wrenches use so I don't know if a small 5 gallon tank will be enough capacity to break loose a nut or two.

I don't want some air compressor with 10-20 gallon tank to take up garage space 365 days a year to use it like 2 or 3 times a year if you know what I mean.

Your thoughts please.

·
1976 Ranchero GT
1,455 Posts
I own a pneumatic wrench but I used a friends old craftsman and it worked perfectly. Now I cant vouch for the newer crapsman power tools. :eek: I also know that the 14volt Milwaukee cordless wrench will take the lug nuts of a mac truck But these battery's don't like occasional use.

·
Registered
142 Posts
weirdbeard said:
I think you would be better off buying an electric impact wrench.. They work really well.
I use a Chicago Electric from Harbor Freight. Works well for what it is designed for.....not gonna take the lugnuts off a Mack but will do most medium duty jobs. Nothing replaces a good air impact in my opinion however.

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
The good name brand electric impact wrenches will handle most any job and will pop off lug nuts with little effort but the biggest complaint I have with them is the fact they are so big. You would be amazed at the number of places they simply will not fit but an air powered impact would go with no problem. No matter how much torque an impact can produce it is useless if you can't get it to the fastener.

·
1976 Ranchero GT
1,455 Posts
oldred said:
The good name brand electric impact wrenches will handle most any job and will pop off lug nuts with little effort but the biggest complaint I have with them is the fact they are so big. You would be amazed at the number of places they simply will not fit but an air powered impact would go with no problem. No matter how much torque an impact can produce it is useless if you can't get it to the fastener.
Thats a really good point Oldred. I never thought about the larger size of the electric wrenches being a problem for some jobs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts