Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
elkyholic
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basic Problem: Installing a BBC motor in a 67 El Camino with SS hood. (This is well know to be a problem with hood clearance for aftermarket intakes :pain: ).

I am planning to use a Weiand Stealth intake (spec says carb pad height is 5.25") with a Street Avenger carb (the carb is dual feed, with an electric choke). Also I am using an HEI distributor, so clearance between the air cleaner and distributor must be considered. I have expectations that this motor will produce more than 500hp, if I don't choke it to death with a weeny little air cleaner.

Based on comparison with my friends 67 Chevelle SS, and my motor assembled with the Stealth intake and Avenger carb, I estimate that I have 2.25" of clearance from the carb AC base to the top of the air cleaner (wingnut).

I already have a 9" diameter K&N filter with the open top. The filter element is 2" tall, the open top is 5/8" tall, unfortunately the base adds 7/8" (net height is 3.5"). When this air cleaner is used it exceeds the clear height by 1 1/8". I have another 9" base, but it is still a bit too tall.

I've looked everywhere, I can find 14" air cleaners with a 2.25" drop base (and several others with drops between 3/4 to 1 1/4). Also I've found several offset bases used to clear the HEI distributor. To use a 14" air cleaner I would need both the drop and the offset.

I've checked other manifolds (even though I already have the Stealth), and found the Performer with a carb pad height of 4.85" and the Summit Stage 1 at 4.53", I ordered the Stage 1 but when it arrived I found it was very similar to the Stealth and the carb pad height was nearly 5.25". Also, I know that the Torker II is low profile, but I am convinced that it will kill the potential this motor has.

I've looked into a different hood, but an unfinished steel hood with a 2" cowl is nearly $500. I really need a good fix, taking a sawzall to my SS hood is not the answer :spank: (I know how much we like to cut on our cars :mwink: , but that is not what I want for this project).

The Question??? Does anyone have any good ideas on how to fit a decent air cleaner on top of this beast??

·
Old(s) Fart
6,014 Posts
starnest said:
Basic Problem: Installing a BBC motor in a 67 El Camino with SS hood. (This is well know to be a problem with hood clearance for aftermarket intakes :pain: ).

The Question??? Does anyone have any good ideas on how to fit a decent air cleaner on top of this beast??
You've done a lot of homework, so I'm sure you're well aware that an overly restrictive air cleaner selected just for fitment will defeat the work of building up a high performance engine. Have you looked into a remote air cleaner with a good-flowing elbow on top of the carb? Many of these elbows are also restrictive, but some of the blow-through turbo and supercharger setups have very nicely-formed elbows. You could then run a 4" or larger aluminum hard tube (no corrugated, please) to a remote air filter. Yeah, it starts getting awfully close to a ricer, but if you don't use a fluorescent green conical K&N clone, you might not catch too much abuse. ;)

·
elkyholic
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Joe - Good idea, I've looked at the cold air kit made by Spectre. It is 3" high, and I'm limited to 2.25". I'm considering fabricating one, but I don't really have the right tools to make one that would work well and look good. I'm really hoping to get lucky enough to find a decent bolt on solution. By the way I'm in VB, if you're near to here let me know.

SSSedan64 - I checked out the posts and there is good potential in the Corvette base, though I am reluctant to start modifying the Avenger carb I have. Also, I really would like to end up with a choke. I am thinking I might get the base and experiment with elements and lids to get the height I need to clear the choke. From the base of the carb to the top of the choke is 1.5", which leave 3/4" for the lid and with an open element K&N lid the angle affords a little off the 3/4".
I noticed your from Macon, I used to live in Warner Robbins (early 60s) and my brother lives there now in Bonaire.

The discussions in the other post about shapes and air flows are very good, but don't really apply to a street application unless your shape or surface area of the filter element causes restrictions at relatively low RPM's. There might be a significant difference on a dyno or a timeslip, but stop light to stop light is not going to sustain a demand for air that most air cleaners cannot provide. I believe that in this application I should be able to achieve fitment and reasonable performance.

Any more ideas out there???

·
Car? Truck? Who Cares
2,485 Posts
302 Z28 said:
Replace the SS hood with a cowl induction hood, they look better anyway on Chevelle's and Camaro's.

Vince
Not always a viable option for some Chevelle owners.

(remember--I also have a 66 Elky with the SS hood)

Hey, Starnest!!!

Not sure----but doesn't the BBC frame mounts lower the engine a bit??
I thought they do---but not positive

·
elkyholic
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Vince - I am considering the cowl hood. Concerned about fitment with an aftermarket hood, plus it is unfinished and my car is already painted with a white pearl that is virtually impossible to match.

Bryan - You are correct, when I change the frame brackets it will lower the engine mounting. All of my comparisons are with my friends 67 Chevelle that has a correct stock 396 sitting on the correct frame brackets, and if my calculations are correct using my Stealth intake and Avenger carb I have clearance for an air cleaner with a net height of 2.25" above the carb base.
In my research I have found some motor mounts that "lower" the motor, but I don't have any data on how much. Also, lowering the motor introduces the problem of fitting headers.

Thanks again for the great ideas. All of this positive input is good motivation.

Does anybody know how much modification has to be done to make the 14" base clear the HEI distributor? That would help me decide between spending $50 for the Corvette drop base or $30 for an aftermarket drop base, or to look more at a modification of the carb hat design with remote air filter.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
starnest said:
Joe - This could work. It's still 1/4" too tall, but if I go to the Performer intake it would fit.
Thanks for the good idea!! :)
It looks like you should be able to mill 1/4" or so off of it

Have you considered adding a couple washers or other shims under your body mounts.
Shane

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.