Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, having a heck of a time trying to plumb in my radiator cooler onto my air compressor. I was hoping I could get some help here.

My compressor has a 1/2 hard copper pipe that connects from the head of the air tank (pipe OD is 5/8). It uses a 5/8 long compression fitting nut and ferrule to attach to the head and another to the tank. I am taking that off and installing a 1/2" flexible copper pipe (pipe has the same 5/8 OD) to a derale radiator cooler (#15300) that has AN-8 fittings.

I am trying to figure out the easiest and most cost effective way to connect to the AN fitting. If I use JIC fittings I would have to get a flaring tool. I am having a hard time trying to find something the converts an AN-8 fitting to something that would work with the 5/8 compression fitting. I think I would need to convert from AN-8 to AN-10 (since that is 5/8) and then AN-10 to 5/8 somehow?

The other end of the add-on soft pipe will go into an air dryer (1/2 npt) then into the tank.

Any sizing guru's care to comment? Thoughts? Ideas?

Photos are attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
You're showing what appears to be , compression fittings & flare fittings. The first looks like a compression fitting , the 2nd , I don't know , the 3rd looks like a 45° flare fitting ,the 5th looks like a flare but/ compression ferrule mismatch . Most small compressors used compression fittings , I can't imagine it would be that difficult to get a couple pieces of tubing flared ( BTW when you change from rigid 1/2" to soft copper ,it becomes 5/8" copper .you need 2 -5/8 compression/ 1/2" mnpt fittings to attach to the compressor & 2 flare nuts & flares to hook to the cooler. If you use a relatively long line , its much easier to bend without kinking .home deposit shows a cheap flaring tool for $16...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're showing what appears to be , compression fittings & flare fittings. The first looks like a compression fitting , the 2nd , I don't know , the 3rd looks like a 45° flare fitting ,the 5th looks like a flare but/ compression ferrule mismatch . Most small compressors used compression fittings , I can't imagine it would be that difficult to get a couple pieces of tubing flared ( BTW when you change from rigid 1/2" to soft copper ,it becomes 5/8" copper .you need 2 -5/8 compression/ 1/2" mnpt fittings to attach to the compressor & 2 flare nuts & flares to hook to the cooler. If you use a relatively long line , its much easier to bend without kinking .home deposit shows a cheap flaring tool for $16...
thanks for the replay 2old2fast. Yes the first two images from the head and tank are compression fittings. The third is from the cooler and it has AN-8 fittings which are 37 degree same as JIC. But I am thinking since its copper I can heat the AN fittings off and just solder on a copper 1/2. The cooler is painted black and is 1/2 copper.

So I picked up 1/2 flexible copper to attach into the head and tank and will use 2 5/8 fittings right? The soft copper tubing I got matches the OD of the old rigid copper which is how it was explained to me that compression fittings are fitted. Its based on the tube that fits inside the hole.

I got that same bender tool you mentioned and a 20 foot roll of coil. I was thinking of trying to use a good portion and just somehow wrapping. I figure the more copper I have the cooler the air and heads will run.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I have , in a pinch , used a 45° flare in a jic fitting WITH the collar ,put some oil on everything & turn ,slowly & release , we did this on a friends old end loader .be very careful with the " box store " tubing . its very thin & generally not as soft as good refrigeration tubing , I wouldnt try bending it without a spring bender .what you're calling a long compression nut is , I think , a flare nut.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have , in a pinch , used a 45° flare in a jic fitting WITH the collar ,put some oil on everything & turn ,slowly & release , we did this on a friends old end loader .be very careful with the " box store " tubing . its very thin & generally not as soft as good refrigeration tubing , I wouldnt try bending it without a spring bender .what you're calling a long compression nut is , I think , a flare nut.

Didn't think the big box store tubing would be thinner, but I believe it. The compressors manual calls it "5/8” Compression Long Nut" now that I am looking at it. I did some digging into this last night. I think they use a long nut to prevent vibration cracks, at least that is my guess.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Loose the copper and use teflon lined SS braid hose, it is what the trucking industry switched to because copper had a tendancy to crack. Stay away from AN just use JIC.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.