Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For what its worth, I just came back from my local xxxxx xxxxx store in Manitowoc wi.

I bought a 7 horse two stage compressor from them one year ago almost to the day, I went to pickup there xxxxxxx brand oil, and it says synthetic on it, different part number then what they had before.

The people in the deparment were not sure if it was okay, thought it was.

So I made three calls to xxxxxx xxxxx to enlighten them.

Then I called the store to inform them whats going on.

So for us with compressors, my manual says after 300 hours its okay to use synthetic compressor oil.

They quit stocking regular air compressor oil. Yet there selling new compressors that need the other oil to break them in

So there is not a lot of thought process going on between the manf and who sells there products.

So read your manuals carefully when you go to buy your oil, just a little heads up.

Rob

Chassis, Body Jig, Trunk Pan Pics.
http://webpages.charter.net/2manitowoc

Paint

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have an old SnapOn compressor. The factory documentation calls for 10wt oil. I couldn't find any straight 10 wt anywhere and was told that everyone now uses 30 wt compressor oil (non -detergent so it won't foam) Anyhow, I ended up going to synthetic and all seems to be well.
jor

·
Lost in the 60's
15,292 Posts
Air Compressor oil is non-detergent. The reason being...a lot of air compressors the crank dips down into the oil sump...this will cause foaming if the oil is detergent type. The resulting foam ( air bubbles) keeps the bearings from having a uniform coating of oil on them and could cause bearing failure. I use 30 wt. Non detergent oil in my 5 HP Ingersall-Rand compressor.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.