Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you all use to connect the tank to your air line setup? I currently have a 3/8" flexible line to a regulator/filter. I'm starting to plumb in hard air lines to some various spots in my workshop that are 1/2" pipe. What should I use to connect to the 1/2" pipe? Is it ok to come straigt out of the tank w/ the hard lines....I would think that vibration wouldn't be a good thing! I can't find 1/2" flexible lines. Any ideas are appreciated!

Thanks - Drew

·
Registered
7,397 Posts
zimaad said:
What do you all use to connect the tank to your air line setup? I currently have a 3/8" flexible line to a regulator/filter. I'm starting to plumb in hard air lines to some various spots in my workshop that are 1/2" pipe. What should I use to connect to the 1/2" pipe? Is it ok to come straigt out of the tank w/ the hard lines....I would think that vibration wouldn't be a good thing! I can't find 1/2" flexible lines. Any ideas are appreciated!

Thanks - Drew
I have a short length of 3/8" reinforced fuel line, connecting the compressor to the hard lines., but I only run 120 PSI. runs thru a quick connect and a lot of water condenses right there in the hose, works pretty good. cool thing is, it expands just a little, increasing flow and volume

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wasn't sure if it was the norm to put a smaller size flexible line(3/8") connecting to larger size piping. I would think it may restrict air flow a little. Do they not make 1/2" flexible lines??

·
Registered
7,397 Posts
zimaad said:
I wasn't sure if it was the norm to put a smaller size flexible line(3/8") connecting to larger size piping. I would think it may restrict air flow a little. Do they not make 1/2" flexible lines??
yes they do. I only used 3/8" because the fittings on the compressor are 1/4", I went 1 size up.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I used a 3/4" hydraulic line I bought from Tractor Supply and it works just fine. I think somebody here recommended them so I tried it.

Danny

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
Kampr is right you just can't beat hydraulic hose it's flexible, is rated for many times more pressure than it will will ever see on a compressor, easy to find with pipe threaded ends, available in any length and size, will outlast your compressor and is fairly inexpensive as long as you just get the standard pressure ratings.

Make sure the hose is at least as big as the line and one size larger would be even better. Also when you get this all set up be sure and move that regulator/filter away from the tank as far as you can since it will do little to remove the water from the lines if it is near the tank.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks..I'll give the hydraulic line a shot! I sure do spend lots of time building a garage....wish I could use the stuff more!!!

·
Registered
135 Posts
As others have stated I ordered a pre-made short hydraulic hose along with two extra SWIVEL fittings (these are key) from Northern tool - mine was 3/4" since I am using 3/4" copper pipe. Worked like a champ.

·
Building a 10 footer.
156 Posts
oldred said:
Kampr is right you just can't beat hydraulic hose it's flexible, is rated for many times more pressure than it will will ever see on a compressor, easy to find with pipe threaded ends, available in any length and size, will outlast your compressor and is fairly inexpensive as long as you just get the standard pressure ratings.
Funny thing, I went to a hydrolic shop to get a hose made up and they refused. :smash: Telling me that the inside of the hose will over time show dry rot. :boxing: Wether this is true or not I havent a clue.

I ended up getting one made at a local Auklands Granger supplier.

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
I can show you some that have been in use for nearly thirty years. I suppose most anything will fail after enough time but a new hydraulic hose will easily outlast most compressors.

·
Instagram: partsretriever
1,622 Posts
it's rubber! of course after 30 years it'll dry rot. Look at old tires, especially ones exposed to the elements. Replace the hydraulic hose every 15 years or so and you'll be safe from "internal dry rot" :rolleyes: .

I think it'd start on the outside first from UV rays, dirt, and crud like that.
-Matt

·
Registered
166 Posts
I use an 8' long piece of 1" rubber hose that I had made up at a place that also makes hydraulic hoses for 35.00. I will ask what the same size hydraulic hose would cost one of these times. This is more flexible than hydraulic but in the 1" size it's still not very flexible.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I bought my hydraulic hose at Tractor Supply and while I don't remember what I gave for it I don't think it was anywhere close to $35.00. You might try somebody that has them already made up. It might be cheaper.

You need something flexible coming out of a compressor. Anything Flexible would probably deteriorate over time. I'm not saying the hydraulic hose is the best because I don't know but I bet it would be hard to find anything better.

Danny

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
Go for the lower pressure hose at TC it is a one wire hose rated, I think, for 2000 PSI and is dirt cheap compared to the the 3 wire hoses rated for 4000+PSI. If you have one made at a hydraulics shop ask for the one wire hose since it is all you need and then some. The ready made hoses at TC or Surplus Center will probably be cheaper than having one made and you can find about any size/length you will need. The swivel fittings are pricey so unless you really need one the standard NPT end will save some money and if you do have to have a swivel remember you will probably only need it on one end.

As far as dry rot I think you will find most air lines anything but dry that close to the tank and in all probability it will also have a thin coating of oil on the inside.

·
Another crazy plowboy!
8 Posts
Air line

I used plastic air brake line. Made to withstand exposure to the elements. Here are the drawing cards. It can be made to whatever length you want, fittings are reusable, (ferrules are not, cost about a dime), repairable, and it is made for airline. Most will withstand 300 psi of air pressure. This stuff is used on trucks and will last years. Mine has lasted 25 years and counting. :thumbup:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I picked up a 1/2" hydraulic hose and a couple of fittings. Hooked up just great. I'm pretty happy with the new setup. I used to have a 3/8" hose from my compressor straight to a regulator. I just ran 1/2" hydraulic line to 1/2" black pipe to two separate air regulators. I wanted one at my workbench. A neighbor had some extra black pipe and fittings so it was pretty much free except the regulators and valves.

next....get argon/co2 tank and start repairing car

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
When you pick up that C25 I would like to recommend the Harris Twenty Gauge cored welding wire to go with it, fantastic stuff for body sheet metal :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts