Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My paint gun has these specs.........

* Required pressure: 50-70 PSI
* Average air consumption:
12 CFM @ 70 PSI
10 CFM @ 50 PSI
* Cup size: 1 qt.
* Air inlet: 1/4'' NPS

I'm having great difficulty finding an air-compresor with the minimum of 10 cfm. Is 10 cfm really neccesary for a good paint job or should I be concerned with the compressors's psi rating?

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
Compressor rating

CFM is what you need to be concerned with..air tools require a lot of volume to operate properly..Soo you need one that puts out quite a bit of air..

See this example:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=3848

That is one tha tis represenative of what would be good in your garage..Lots of suppliers have similar units..

Do a google search and you will find lots of people who would like to sell you one..

Good luck

OMT

·
Registered
417 Posts
If this is your only paint job ever, just go rent a usable compressor. Otherwise, buy a real one. It really is not difficult to find sutable compressors. Home Depot, Lowes, TSC, Harbor Freight, all that kind of store can accomodate your needs. Once you have a capable compressor, you will use it for other jobs as well. It will run impact wrenches, drills, sanders, polishers.
Start looking for a unit with about 5 running HP. You do NOT want direct drive or oil-less.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.