Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on painting my chey in the near future,this will be my first paint job and I was wondering what type of air compressor to use and at what pressure? And also what would be a good gun for a newbie like me,that does a good job?

·
Registered
533 Posts
A question like this will get you as many different opinions as there are posts...( but here's mine!!) I use a minimum of a 3 horse compressor, but many will tell you that 4 to 6 is needed. A good gun for a first timer can be purchased at Harbor Freight or you can get them at many implement and auto supply stores. I do like my Binks but it is expensive...for a first time job the smaller guns will work fine if kept clean. Standard guns usually use 45-50 pounds per square inch (PSI) and take from 8-11 cubic feet per minute (CFM) of air pressure. Make sure your compressor can deliver what the gun requires. HVLP (high volume low pressure) guns can take much more CFM yet spray at a lower output pressure. Personally I don't care for them as I am 'Old School'. Good luck and don't be afraid to have some fun and learn all you can by getting tech sheets from the supplier of the paint. I'm sure you'll get many more opinions on this!! :)

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
I bought a $94 "Advantage" hvlp from a paint jobber. he said he sold a boat load to local guys, reason being 'a boatload' VS ONE OR TWO was due to them not cleaning them good and letting the needles stick. they figured they were so cheap, it was like a disposable gun. it looks just like the gun sold at oreillys,even had the same spec sheet in the box, just different names. looks like the one harbor freight sells for @ $60. probably made in the same factory in china. I like it. havent sprayed any clear yet but its great on base coat and primers. JUST KEEP IT CLEAN.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts