Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thanks guys, air duct bezels coming along

I want to thank the folks who offered suggestions on how I should go about building bezels for the air ducts on my Rambler project. I ended up building them from a combination of aluminum plate and aluminum sheet metal. It was very time consuming but they look and fit great.

I started with welding all the body seams between the front fenders and the grille support then leading and filling these areas until I felt the body was close to a finished state. I cut the outside part of the bezel from 1/2" aluminum plate with a jig saw then I formed it with a hammers and dollies and my vice to as close to the fender contour as possible.

I coated the fenders around the holes with a machinist high spot bluing and rubbed the bezels on the openings so the blue showed the areas that needed material removed. It took hours but they fit the compound curves of the fenders perfectly. I rouged the outside with my belt sander until they were about 3/8' thick then fabricated the inner portion from 1/16" aluminum sheet and welded it to the bezel on the inside edge so I could grind and file the weld to a nice radius on the edge of the opening.

I spent hours sanding and filing then to shape and I think they look pretty good. I still have to finish them and the plan is to paint them the same color as the car and replace the current flat head allen screws with stainless screws. the mesh material is the same pattern as the grille so it should look like they were meant to be there.

I included a few pictures of the before and after.
Let me know what you think of the look.. good or bad.
Thanks again for the input I appreciate it.

Ed

Attachments

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, They were a lot of work. I probably have 30 hours in the bezels but it was worth it. They should help considerably as far as getting fresh air to the air cleaners and hopefully help cool the turbos a bit.

Ed

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.