Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Chasing dreams with a ball bat
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

Does anyone know what AFR to shoot for when you are running nitrous? I have heard differing opinions on some other sites.

I have a SBC 406 with a 175 HP shot on it. I log everything with my LM-1 WBO2, but I have not played with the nitrous since I put it on. I've got a 12.5-12.7 A/F ratio at WOT, no nitrous.

What should I look for on the bottle? :confused:

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Will likely show in the mid 10's with stock jetting. Somewhere in the low 11's is still usually safe. Size of shot and cylinder distribution though are the keys. Big shot, poor distribution will kill the lean cylinders.

·
Technical Support Barry Grant
1,500 Posts
Like Rick said most stock nitrous calibrations will bring you down to the high 10:1 range, and a good engines are usually safe till the mid 11:1 range similar to a supercharged AFR.

·
Chasing dreams with a ball bat
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.

I saw an article in a magazine that suggested that the A/F ratio would depend on the NA HP and the NO2 HP differential. More NO2 would mean a richer final A/F.

The formula was something like ([NA HP / Total HP ] x 13) + (NO2 HP / total HP] x 7)

If I used 500 NA HP (assuming 13:1), and a 175 shot of nitrous (assuming 7:1), my A/F ratio came out to be 11.44:1. Just what you guys said! :cool:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts