Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, any of you pros out there have a recommendation for an all around airbrush. I've never had one. Something not too expensive but not junk and that will have everything needed in the kit. Would like to use it for airbrushed flames and highlights on other flames. I'm not an artist so no real fancy requirements but easy to chage colors..And a source for it maybe? There are about 100 billion airbrush sets for sale on the net.
Also, I've only seen a couple of airbrushed flame jobs but they were really nice, one on a harley looked like you would burn your hand if you touched it. Anywhere to get an idea of how to do those. Merry Christmas and Thanks much, Ray

·
Registered
327 Posts
To add to the question I picked up what looked like a fancy air brush that turned out to be a KopyKaKe air brush used for decorating CAKES oh well $3 down. But has anyone use one for air brushing auto paint work and what is the differance. Ed ke6bnl I can't really see a diffance.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Iwata is by far the best bang for the buck, they are high end but will last forever. I have 3 of these. being the HP-A Plus, ECLIPSE G6 Airbrush ECL-9000, and the HP-C Plus.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Jeeptuff is right, Iwata is pretty much recognized as the top of the line in airbrushes. More pros use these airbrushes than any other right now. If you want the best that would be what I'd suggest, it would be hard to find anything better.

Now having said that, there are other airbrushes that are nearly as good but cost less. I personally use a Thayer and Chandler Omni 3000 for most of my work and I ocassionally break out my old Pasche VL. Both of those can be found for approximately half the price of an Iwata and are capable of producing nice results.

Below are links to a couple of airbrush forums where you can get lots more info.

Hope this helps!

http://www.westcoastairbrush.com/airbrushforum/index.php
http://www.airbrushtechnique.com/airbrushforum/

·
Registered
717 Posts
iwata is the about the best but since they make a tone of different airbrushes i'll narrow it down a little further. for a good all around iwata the eclipse is about the best and its not too expensive. the iwata hp-cs would be great. it has a gravity cup with a cap so the paint wont spill or drip and its easy to clean and change colors with. you can find them at:

www.coastairbrush.com
www.dixieart.com

·
Registered
717 Posts
it depends on what you are doing. one will get you by but if your working on something that has a few colors you will want more than one. cleaning and changing colors every 2 seconds can be a nightmare.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
airbrush

So the problem is changing colors not spray patterns and such. I'll be doing mostly flame stuff where I'll have a lot of one color at a time so I guess I can get by with one to start with. Thanks again for all the help..Ray

·
Registered
717 Posts
for what you are doing, yes having more airbrushes would benefit you for changing colors only. for artwork people have different airbrushes not only for colors but for spray patters too. some are for high detail like the iwata micron and the hp line. these work great for detail but aren't too good for large wide lines or filling in and shading. the eclipse is right in the middle.

·
Be the MIRACLE!
363 Posts
If your doing a large area of flames you might want to consider an inexpensive touch up gun. I bought mine for a bout 36.95 from a swap meet. It works great for motorcycles and panels. It will have a fan pattern and can cover a large flame area faster and more efficiently than an airbrush. If your not doing a lot of work, maybe you could barrow one (touch up gun) from a friend. Show us your work if you get one.:thumbup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.