Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
sitis nam accelero
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What type of alcohol would you but in an engine to help for a cleaner combustion? Rubbing (in isopropyl alcohol or ethyl alcohol form) or some straight up hard liquor like a cheap bottle of everclear? My idle CO level was off by .30 at 3.30 over 3.00 to pass.

·
T-Bucket, Corvette, Mustang
507 Posts
Wow - I doubt it is that simple.

Alcohol has an entirely different set of combustion properties than unleaded gasoline. Alcohol is typically higher octane, lower BTU per gallon, and a different air/fuel mixture just for starters. Damage to fuel system components may be a problem, too. I doubt your car's ECM will deal with it the way you anticipate unless it is a flexible fuel vehicle of some sort, and even then it will expect a specific blend of alternate fuels.

Excessive CO at idle may be as simple as a tune-up or it may be some emission components that are not performing. I would make an attempt at the very least to diagnose the problem first - mixing foreign substances in fuel may make this problem worse or cause further damage. Good luck to you.

·
sitis nam accelero
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's carbureted, no electronics, we've already tuned it to run as lean as possible at what we think is optimal timing to the point where it's barely running. I mean I'm not gonna be driving like this daily just for one smog run. I know it's got different thermal properties, but i've just heard time and time again if you are close to passing just put some higher octane fuel and/or alcohol in it to get it through emissions.

·
sitis nam accelero
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So the question remains what type of alcohol if it matters? I'm not going to run straight alcohol, lol, I know it can be bad for your internals. Just thinking about dropping a pint or two in the tank. We're just talking a smudge better on emissions is all I need and if dropping a pint or so in will make the difference

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Doc here,

I don't know if you have it there, we have it here in the SF area, at the pump..E10 (I think is what they call it..) Ethanol..no engine or smog problems I have head or yet..

Why wouldn't plain 108 Octane boost work for you? Or 110 octane AVGAS?

Doc.. :pimp:

·
Drive it Like u Stole it!
163 Posts
too high a CO still points to the misture being too rich.... since you said you're carbureted, the only thing you can look at would be fuel pressure. if you were fuel injected, things to look at would be O2 sensor, coolant temp sensor, MAP sensor, and the air flow meter. if you have an aftermarket cam, the lift & duration might be a bit too much at idle to run efficiently.

·
russlaferrera
203 Posts
emissions

You might try to relocate the PCV to a area where it draws fresh air. the oil fumes in the engine will make it run richer....russ

·
russlaferrera
203 Posts
nitro_baller4692 said:
pull the pcv valve and turn it upside down to draw fresh air.
I do not understand how reversing the PCV will draw in fresh air? By relocating the PCV to a area that allows the Valve to pull air only I understand. Please explain, and please make it simple as I have a small brain! LOL ....russ

·
russlaferrera
203 Posts
emissons

Your 1st post did not say that (Remove the PCV from the valve cover). Now you are getting fresh air. I have a small brain remember. Now Part B. What does reversing the PCV do?....russ

·
sitis nam accelero
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
docvette said:
Doc here,

I don't know if you have it there, we have it here in the SF area, at the pump..E10 (I think is what they call it..) Ethanol..no engine or smog problems I have head or yet..

Why wouldn't plain 108 Octane boost work for you? Or 110 octane AVGAS?

Doc.. :pimp:
I'm trying to find somewhere to get ahold of some. Of course I've found "octane boosters" at local parts stores but I've yet to find some that actually show a roundabout figure of what the octane level should be around after dropping it in the tank. All of them that I've read don't give any figures according to like a certain size tank and mixed with certain octane gas. I'm not sure where to find racing fuel, all these so called "speed shops" just seem to be parts stores.

sel2real said:
too high a CO still points to the misture being too rich.... since you said you're carbureted, the only thing you can look at would be fuel pressure. if you were fuel injected, things to look at would be O2 sensor, coolant temp sensor, MAP sensor, and the air flow meter. if you have an aftermarket cam, the lift & duration might be a bit too much at idle to run efficiently.
I realize that but I seem to be running it as lean as I can tune it. I'm thinking if I can get higher octane than I will most likely be able to get more timing out of it and be run it a leaner without detonation or it falling on it's face.

As far as the PCV valve, I think it would be quite noticible when I pull up to emissions and they inspect the PCV system that my valve is installed upside down? Or maybe I'm not seeing the right picture. They already complained that I didn't have a rebreather into the air cleaner from the oil cap. So I had to get a oil filler cap with a rebreather nozzle on it and cut out a hole in the bottom of the air cleaner.

I've gone and put cats on the thing got an 1850 600cfm holley and messed around with that to help with emissions as my 750 speed demon was far worse trying to get the levels down. I had a damn oil leak and farkin emissions rejected me because of it, so I had fixed that in the mean time. Now I've got a leak at the timing cover I'm hoping it's not the front seal. And I called DMV inspections ahead of time and to find out I need a damn hood to register. If I had stayed in Cali the damn thing would be exempt from emissions :spank: that's the only reason why I put the engine in there, not knowing I was going to move.

·
sitis nam accelero
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
johnsongrass1 said:
Try to maximize your timing and create an air leak.
I had an unused and unplugged vacuum port on the front of the holley and the emissions tripped out about that saying I've got a vacuum leak.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Doc here, :pimp:

Don't know What Arizona Does for Emissions..But For what it's worth, Here in California , in the Bay Counties, I had a Carbbed Vette that started as a GP, out the gate..

Because it was an orphan year, there were no Specific Regs for that year as to equipment, AND in fact FEW were delivered to California from Corvette For that reason to the point of offering to pay a rebate to buy a lower powered engine for emissions from a passenger car..

It took 13 inspections, at the state Referee, and Me building a system Not listed in nature from parts cobbled together from other vehicles to get the required system the Referee Wanted to see..Learned a lot about our regs in the process..To finally pass with what was deemed by the state as a rare certificate.."Passed, Modified, Acceptable" (Total costs=$6500 +$1200 Registration fees..)

The major point being the last 6 or so inspections were squeakers..right on the edge..but fails...and I could NOT bring the numbers into spec to save my soul..

UNTIL..even though NEW, I rebuilt the carb..

THEN spent a day (5 full hours) Common sense tuning it...) ...

took it to the local garage and had them run a pre~test for me to see if I should go the the referee for the real test..It PASSED..and the guy said " Don't stop anywhere..go straight to the ref and get 'Er Done..."

which it did..A second time that day, it passed..and was finally able to register the car..AND since then I get a notice from DMV every 6 months to have it tested..because it is a "Suspected Gross Polluter" I find that is more and more true on Carbbed performance cars around here that have failed a test at anytime..

Anyway the short story for you might be..rebuild the carb (no matter how new..) and tune it the very best you can..(or have it tuned.) then try the pre test..

And hope for the best! :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
When we had testing here i mn i had a old ford truck that would'nt pass. I ran the tank down to just under a1/4 and put in a gallon of denatured alcohol and it passed with flying colors. Just be sure to fill the tank with good gas as soon as your done and it kind of kills the power until you burn the stuff out. You can get the stuff anywhere they sell house paint or thinner. Its a thinner used in house paint.

·
Violating consensual reality
365 Posts
"If I had stayed in Cali the damn thing would be exempt from emissions that's the only reason why I put the engine in there, not knowing I was going to move."

More states are taking on California style smog checks. What do you have anyway? I guess I missed that.

Strummin

1 - 20 of 22 Posts