Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is there anyway to tell if a block was previously align bored, my 400 sbc engine has a fairly good leak from the rear of the engine and it has been like that since assembly, i have not pulled the tranny yet to verify that it is the rear main seal and not a galley or cam plug but plan to this winter, i bought the block from a machine shop but they do not know if the block had been align bored previously, i know they make a special rear main seal for the 400 but i could only use it if it was bored, i goofed when i assembled it since i did not use sealant on the cap to block mating surface, it seams to leak a little to much for it to be coming from there or can it, thanks
Scotty

·
Registered
15,728 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
my crank was turned .010 on mains and rod journals, so going by the article you provided am i safe to say i have undersized bearings? i automatically assumed they were oversized because the pins were turned smaller, thanks Bogie for the lesson

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
are you sure the seal is installed correctly?
is the crankcase vented?
the lack of sealer on the rear cap can be a good size leak, depending on the exact surface condition of the block and cap.

·
Registered
253 Posts
are you sure the seal is installed correctly?
is the crankcase vented?
the lack of sealer on the rear cap can be a good size leak, depending on the exact surface condition of the block and cap.
Before you pull the trans or engine put ultraviolet dye in the oil and run it. When you pull it apart you can check the leak source with a dye light. If you don't have one perhaps you can borrow one. Or buy an in expensive one if need be. Good luck. Ernie.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i did install the seal properly and have a good working pcv system on it, my lack of sealing the cap block surface may indeed be the source of the leak, i am going to look into the ultraviolet dye and light as suggested, thanks for the replies

1 - 8 of 8 Posts