Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is there anyway to tell if a block was previously align bored, my 400 sbc engine has a fairly good leak from the rear of the engine and it has been like that since assembly, i have not pulled the tranny yet to verify that it is the rear main seal and not a galley or cam plug but plan to this winter, i bought the block from a machine shop but they do not know if the block had been align bored previously, i know they make a special rear main seal for the 400 but i could only use it if it was bored, i goofed when i assembled it since i did not use sealant on the cap to block mating surface, it seams to leak a little to much for it to be coming from there or can it, thanks
Scotty

· Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
my crank was turned .010 on mains and rod journals, so going by the article you provided am i safe to say i have undersized bearings? i automatically assumed they were oversized because the pins were turned smaller, thanks Bogie for the lesson

· Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i did install the seal properly and have a good working pcv system on it, my lack of sealing the cap block surface may indeed be the source of the leak, i am going to look into the ultraviolet dye and light as suggested, thanks for the replies

· Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i bought a oil leak dye kit, the bottle has 30ml in it but does not say how much to use, do i use the whole bottle or just a little and should i change the oil before using it or is the oil in it okay? fairly new oil in it already, after driving the car for a while and shutting it down how long will the dye stay visible to the light? the car may have to sit for a short while before i can pull the tranny, if it is the rear main seal and i pull the engine should i get a different brand of seal and if so what would you suggest?
thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts