Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
are you sure the seal is installed correctly?
is the crankcase vented?
the lack of sealer on the rear cap can be a good size leak, depending on the exact surface condition of the block and cap.
Before you pull the trans or engine put ultraviolet dye in the oil and run it. When you pull it apart you can check the leak source with a dye light. If you don't have one perhaps you can borrow one. Or buy an in expensive one if need be. Good luck. Ernie.

·
Registered
350 Posts
i bought a oil leak dye kit, the bottle has 30ml in it but does not say how much to use, do i use the whole bottle or just a little and should i change the oil before using it or is the oil in it okay? fairly new oil in it already, after driving the car for a while and shutting it down how long will the dye stay visible to the light? the car may have to sit for a short while before i can pull the tranny, if it is the rear main seal and i pull the engine should i get a different brand of seal and if so what would you suggest?
thanks
Use about half the bottle. Oil that's in there now ok. Put it in drive it get it hot. The dye won't wash away. Drive it now plenty before to take it apart say an hour or so. U need uv glasses with the light to dee the color. I'll set someone else advise on the seal part #. Ernie.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts