Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 57 chev truck that I've just put a chrysler torsion ifs in. It's getting a sbc, 700r4, and an 8.8 rear end. The 8.8 has a 2" offset (approx.). I have to custom some frame mounts and a tranny crossmember. I was planning on offsetting the motor 1" to the ps anyway to prevent some clearance problems with headers and ps box and linkage. I need some good info on lining everything up, pinion angles etc.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Check this article out. It explains the importance of making sure the "U" joints are parallel and gives suggested set up parameters.

Centerline

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Centerline! That's exactly what I needed. As for the offset rearend, I guess 1" of offset should be okay as long as it doesn't exceed 3 degrees.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Off-set sideways or up and down doesn't matter. What matters is your trans. output shaft and your pinion must be parallel within 3 degrees.
Here is another site with helpful info.

·
NEVER use credit cards!
3,111 Posts
i dont think it matters much either, stock chevy trucks of some year or other came with the engine and inch or two off the center line. my truck could use the pinion angle adjusted down, but it hasn't broke yet. it's on my to-do list tho

1 - 5 of 5 Posts