Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the Juki put together, threaded, and set up. Then I tried it for the first time. In a nutshell, I agree completely with the way Alan described his first session with his Tacsew - "WOW! LOL!" :thumbup:

This machine outclasses that little Brother I was practicing on so much I can't even begin to describe it! This thing runs so smoothly, and it's so much more powerful, that it's actually easier to use than that little Brother was. I know a few of you have warned me to be careful, as the more powerful machine can easily get away from you, and I've taken that advice to heart - believe me. I'm used to using tablesaws and shapers that can not only make you a left-hander for life, in the case of a tablesaw it could possibly perform open-heart surgery on you if you aren't careful. I'm approaching this in the same manner. I know to respect the tool and not fear it, but I also know that it can reach up and bite you if you get too complacent. :nono:

It hasn't gotten away from me yet, and my practice with it has been limited to a few straight lines to get the tension figured out, and learn the feel of the treadle, but I'll tell you right now that I'm hooked. This is a blast so far. :D

I had a few problems at first with the needle thread breaking, but it turned out to be that particular spool of thread. I know you told me to toss out that old stuff, Dan, but I'm Scottish, remember? I got to the point that I could tell where it was going to break based on the color of the thread. That spool is in the trash - it was just too old and deteriorated to do anything with. I figure some of this stuff will be good for practicing on the denim and canvas I'm learning on, but for anything else I'll buy new threads and fill bobbins from that.

Here are a few pictures of the Juki assembled. I finally figured out that the knee paddle (is that what it's called?) is to lift the presser foot to allow you to turn the material if you need to. It sure beats stopping and reaching around the back of the machine to lift the foot that way. As you can tell by the photos, the table is pretty beat up. I guess it got moved around a lot, and probably used as a horizontal surface to store junk. I'll spend a little more time cleaning it up, and maybe even put a new laminate top on it if it comes to that. I used to do that type of work for a living, so it's no problem.

One question I do have, however, is what is that dowel on the outfeed side of the machine for - in the last picture. Is it just a guide to keep your material from getting over near the drive belts, or does it do something else?

Thanks again for all of the help, advice, and encouragement you all have given me. Now I have to figure out a couple of projects to sew up and get used to handling this puppy. It's not as difficult as I thought it would be, but I know I have a lot of learning to do - and the only way to do that is to actually do it. :thumbup:

Attachments

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here are a few accessories I found while digging through the drawer in the table. I'm going to assume they're presser foot attachments, but I'm not certain. I know one of them is a presser foot, but I'm not sure it goes to this machine.

Attachments

·
Registered
90 Posts
Dusty82 said:
One question I do have, however, is what is that dowel on the outfeed side of the machine for - in the last picture. Is it just a guide to keep your material from getting over near the drive belts, or does it do something else?
That dowel is a rest for the machine, when titlting it backwards, to change bobbins, oiling, adjustments, or any other reason you have to tilt the machine.

BTW: Looks great. :thumbup:

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
armysniper said:
That dowel is a rest for the machine, when titlting it backwards, to change bobbins, oiling, adjustments, or any other reason you have to tilt the machine.
DOH! :rolleyes:

I should have seen that. Lord knows I had it tilted enough today. Thanks Sniper.

·
Acoustic Rock ... for real.
1,983 Posts
LOL! I wondered about that dowel at first, too, Dusty! And the knee thingy is called a "presser bar actuator" or, more commonly, the "knee lift." Lifting the presser bar by hand is a whole lot tougher on these indutrial machines than it is on the home machines, eh!?

I'm glad you're enjoying your Juki, man! That's a cool machine ... and you've got some cool feet for it, too - that crazy looking one looks to me like a binder foot.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.