Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Way back when....when I was in Vo-tech school learning body work we used "all Metal" filler sometimes. After about 20 years away from body work, and starting to do some again. I'm wondering if anyone still uses this or if the plastic fillers and fiberglass reinforced fillers are improved to the point that the "all metal" isn't the trick stuff anymore. Thanks.

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
The only all metal filler I am aware of is lead, nasty stuff in todays environment. There used to be a product called Alumalead. It was a resin based material that had an anuminum powder filler. Most of the body fillers of today are first rate, when applied properly.

Vince

·
Just one of the guys
3,074 Posts
Tedly...they still make All-Metal. That is what I use. Aluminum based and tough. Good stuff if it's still been around all those years. Same stuff I used about 20 years ago.

Kevin

·
NEVER use credit cards!
3,110 Posts
i cant believe it's been around that long and still nobody knows about it. i just found out about it like two years ago when my landlord showed me his patchwork on his van behind the rear wheels and i know he gobbed it on like he always does and you couldnt even tell 5 years afterwards. i used it over some glass mesh to build a hump over my hinges inside my wheel wells last year and it's still hard as a rock. it's the chit. ( i live in WA so it sees alot of aqua.) unless you red oxide or paint over your bondo immediately, this is the only stuff to use! ;)

·
8,453 Posts
Available at your paint supply store. Almost can't tell the difference between it and lead! Has an extremely smooth texture, even smoother than Evercoat spot filler. It feathers out to a sheen on the base metal. I like it on bare metal, like lead would be used for. If I am filling over primer, or filling large areas, I still use polyester fillers.

·
Never Finished
54 Posts
I have used All-Metal for years. I've found it great for building up or shaping an area that takes more material than you would want to use in a plastic filler. Since it gets so hard I usually sand in down agressively lower than I want and use a skim coate of plastic filler to finish it off.

Tom

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for the input, That was my plan too, build up with the All metal where I need more than I would like. And finish with plastic.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts