Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright i have a lift air tools and a tranny jack, i'm gonna be having napa send over about 15 quarts of tranny fluid. Now how exactly am i going to get my driveshaft out, i've never done that before. and it's not to hard to convert the old speedometer stuff over the new tranny is it the way the guy explained it he made it sound simple as pie, i'm sure it won't be too hard. And if i have any problems during the experiance i'll get on here and ask away. Thanks Guys for the help in advance!!!!!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i figured out how to remove the driveshaft and i think i got the concept of the speedometer and stuff i gotta swap over.

How important is haveing a kickdown cable??? i talked to a guy and he said i'd be tottaly screwed if i didn't have one on. but i've heard on here that it's not nessisarily important!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
18,351 Posts
A turbo350 will operate without the kickdown cable, but I would recommend that you do hook it up. It's just a matter of making a bracket.

·
84 Mutt
284 Posts
Poncho62 , How do you go about adjusting the kickdown??? When I stomp on it it will not kickdown. It's about a 1/4 inch from the end of the k/d stud. THX:rolleyes:

·
84 Mutt
284 Posts
Should I move it in closer to where its just grabbing the stud already.? Is there a proper way to have it hooked up??
Thanks for your help.!:thumbup:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i just walked down to kragen and bnought a kickdown cable, but now i gotta make a braket for the manifold i guess anyone got a picture of what it looks like? i've got all sorts of metal and welders and tools right now, so i could rig one up. and i'm not sure if it came with the thing that mounts on to the tranny!!!!!!

3,214 Posts
If you have the correct linkage hook-up, the kick-down cable is easy to adjust. There is a retainer on the engine end of the cable, in the area of the mounting bracket. It is in the plastic part of the housing. The retainer is released by prying up a piece that is basically "T" shaped. This is done, usually with a straight blade screw driver. With the cable released, the housing is in it's longest position. Have someone push the gas pedal all of the way to the floor ( from inside the vehicle), then lock the cable back down. Adjusting the cable in that way, will give you full kick-down at full acceleration with the pedal.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ah crap is a detent cable that same thing as a kickdown cable? cuz thats what i got, i don't see how it mounts to the tranny and the picture on the box looks like its on the other side of the tranny, but it's supposed to be universal and has an application chart and says it works with a th350, is this the right thing????

Edit, k i opened it and i see where it is supposed to go on the tranny looks cool, but it seems to me that the thing won't reach the braket, but i'm sure it will reach the carb it. i think i have a good idea of what the bracket will look like, i'm sure i can rig one up real fast!!!!

·
84 Mutt
284 Posts
This is the set-up I used from edelbrock------>
It is a main throttle linkage plate with k/d hardware.
hope this helps......:thumbup:

I believe it is a different name for it . Thats all

Attachments

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks brother!!!!

Well i'm gonna get started now!!!! worst comes to worst i'll find someone who has the bracker tommorow!!!! but i'll definatly try to make one!!!!! thanks guys

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Alright i got everything ready for me to drop everything is removed, i got mad lucky cuz when i was pulling the driveshaft the cups on the u joints came off and some of the roller bearing came out scattering on the floor i was thinking oh **** now i have to get new u joints and put those in but i decided if i could get it all together (fat chance) i'd be okay, luckly i found them all and got them in right only cuz it was nicely greasded inside and everything stayed put except the ones that got knocked loose, so that was good i taped it up to ensure i don't do it again!!!! But all the bolts are loose except 3 the two lower ones on the bellhousing and one on our homemade tranny mount!!!! my boss told me when i drop my tranny i need to have someone here just in case i hurt myself, he couldn't help because he had to be in a meeting in sacramento with his other shop's manager!!!! but my dad siad when he gets off work he would help but i'm tempted to do it myself because the chance i get hurt is very minimal but because it could happen and it's on my mind it probably will happen just my luck!!!!! Well i'll ponder it and i'll get it done i started at what?? like 7:00 it's about 8:12 now, not too bad!!!!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well i'm done, took me last night and this afternoon to do it. Works great, i even bought a kickdown cable and rigged up a bracket to hold it in place, works great i can't believe how much more fun it is to drive now!!!!! my only concern is i think i have a leak in the dipstick i bought a new one because i had to go down to the parts store to buy a new o ring anyways so i said screw it i'll just get a chrome one to be a little more flashy, well i'm not too sure but i think it's leaking, the old one had an obvious leak but this one looks as if it might be, i'll know in the morning if 've got a puddle of tranny fluid under my truck!!! then i'll go to the parts store and pick up some rtv and put that around the base and hopefully it will be okay and seal up the leak!!!, but other than that it's great!!!!!

·
84 Mutt
284 Posts
Glad to hear it!!:thumbup: My guess is that you cut up the new o-ring when installing the dipstick. When I put in my new chrome dipstick, it also leaked.:drunk:I had also crushed my o-ring but I put a new one on and slowly hammered it on ,using a block of wood and a mallet. But like you said , a little black rtv will do the trick.You might have to drain some(if it didn't allready do so itself)Let it stand for a couple of hours after gooping rtv.:p

3,214 Posts
You should not have to hammer in the dipstick tube. That will cut the o-ring. One problem with the chrome tubes is that the groove for the o-ring usually isn't the right depth. It is usually either too deep or not deep enough, and cuts the o-ring. That is why they leak. Using RTV, you can seal it, but it usually looks like crap. It is also difficult to get a good seal because for most RTV to seal, it has to have both surfaces clean of any oil. Another thing to consider is that you may end up getting RTV inside the trans, and it can plug the filter.

An easier way to seal that I have used for those tubes is to put an additional o-ring on it. The first o-ring goes all of the way on the tube, above the groove to the part of the tube that flares out. That is the part that meets the case in the hole. Since the tube is bigger around in that area, it stretches the o-ring slightly, making it not quite as thick, and seals fairly well.

Good luck

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yeah it's leaking i think i'm just gonna use rtv cuz i don't have an o ring and my only vehicle is my truck so, rtv will have to work!!!!

·
84 Mutt
284 Posts
Clean it up real good first..:nono: Spray a little degreeser first and drop fluid level below dip-stick.Good luck...:mwink:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts