Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
I will endevour to persevere
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for an alternative to POR 15. The inside area around the cowl and foot well in the coupe need some protection. It is almost impossible to get to a few areas to sand surface rust and I would like to just encapsulate these areas.
Looking at Por 15 but the price seems a bet excessive. I haven't seen any other products that compare. I thought about SPI Epoxy but the nightly temps are getting below 50 deg and daytime temps are barely breaking in the low 60's. I know SPI epoxy is a little finicky when it comes to application temperature. What might a person use for a task like this? :cool:

·
Grand Prix user
5,416 Posts
In those cannot-be-reached-nor-perfect situations, here is what I reach for:

I have witnessed that product at over ten years old on a beater S-10 roof. Out in the open. And still black.

For that product, light rust as in wire brushed and cleaned well... is perfect. It "likes" a little layer of rust.

It settles out of solution and must be thoroughly stick-stirred each use, and also tends to skin quickly if can is open or lid not on good. But I have no qualms about it on areas theres no money or desire to extend surgery for textbook coatings app. I use a bristle brush because theres always flanges to flood and pits to fill. Plan on a couple quick coats so you get full coverage if brushed.

Now... if I am right up next to a new patch or other area with some access for wire wheel and know epoxy will go there later but need to acid scrub pits while wet with something, theres this also from them.

It ain't been that long since a guy would be insulted for mentioning Eastwood here. "All kid stuff! Ospho!" So ya know.

That stuff is not very strong but is kinda foamy, perfect for wet wire wheeling. I do that several times, keeping wet (with itself) and wiping off while wet (with itself) and at the end of scrubbing I re-wet with it again and chase off with water, blow and wipe dry, sand or scuff again more, clean with W&G remover then do epoxy. I don't like this stuff to stay on except in those pesky pits and try to sand the rest clean. Because if left as a coating, any bare metal will be crappy with that on and not stick.

Straight from the evolved shop procedure.

·
True Hotrodder
1,351 Posts
I have had really good luck with Rustoleums Rust Convertor. I have a cheap HF storage box on the front of my trailer and it hadn't been a couple years before the front and top started rusting. I painted it over a year ago with this stuff. This thing sits out in the open day after day in all weather conditions. Still looks like I just painted it. Hasn't let the rust come through, hasn't faded or changed in any form. About $8 a can but now I am using it as a primer/convertor for the underneath of my old truck and it's doing a good job there too.

·
I will endevour to persevere
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
IDJ,Chasracer, I went with IDJ's favorite and I was leaning that way after looking at what the cost was compared to Eastwood's Por 15. Order is in and I await delivery... Yeah to get in the tricky areas I have an nice assortment of paintbrushes from fine touch op to a slather special that covers a lot of area. Oh and it gets better.. The wife has volunteered to do the honors painting all them areas.... I think I am gonna like this!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts