Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 69 camaro with a 383 stroker, the volts gauge is maxing out at 18 volts everytime the rpm is over 2000???? is somthing wrong with the alternator or somthing else?

·
Registered
6 Posts
it sounds like the regulator might be faulty, youll be boiling the electrolyte in the battery with that much overvoltage.

If its a bosch style alternator, the regulators are easily replaced and not very expensive to buy.

·
Registered
698 Posts
If I were you, I'd check the voltage on the battery with a volt/multimeter at >2000rpm to confirm your volts gauge or circuit isn't faulty before swapping the regulator. Just my two cents.
ssmonty

·
AKA Lee in KC
527 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me. Voltmeter was pegged at the high end. I didn't believe it and kept driving. Fried the MSD box and the battery. Took the alt in to a specialty shop and they said bad regulator.

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
6,391 Posts
You will burn stuff up if you dont fix it. The regualtor is a fairly easy fix. You will need to take the alternator apart to replace it. Make sure you mark the case halves so you get it back together in the correct clocking.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.