Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 93 Nissan Altima with a problem that comes and goes. It comes when I need it and it goes when I try to bring it in somewhere to get it diagnosed.

Details:

This has been going on for about 8 months. It seemed to disappear over the summer but recently reared its ugly head again.

Sometimes, I will park, come back... try to start the car... first it doesn't want to start... then it will start... but the RPMs will fall like a rock... sometimes, it will start and then not rev past 1500 or 2000.

Other times when driving, it suddenly seems to develop this RPM problem. Suddenly, the RPMS are dropping. Electric power is still good. But RPMs drop to say where they can't go over (car physically will not rev past) 2000 or so. If car was going 40 mph, it slows drastically and I find it best to pull off quickly before it dies all together.

I had the problem with the starting and it not doing it :) a week ago. Had it towed in. Problem is it will usually starts back up an hour or a few hours later. The shop diagnoses it as a bad distributor. They replace the distributor, cap, wires, plugs, etc. $500.

I come pick it up. Think everythings fine. And then my brother has it die a slow death (rpms fall, can't maintain mph, basically limping car) on him monday. He parks it at a gas station. We come back later that night and unfortunately (I say that because it was at a service station) it starts right up.

I think its about impossible for anyone to accurately diagnose because every time I bring it in, its functioning fine. And yet, I'm looking for answers on a web site after just describing it poorly with words :)

Sorry for rambling post. Any ideas or theories are appreciated. We really need the car to be reliable for getting around town and a few 4 hours trips.

-Erik

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Codes

Doc here :pimp:

Did they try to pull Codes from the computer when you had it in for service?

Other than that, try cleaning the MAF sensor off.

Also check for a plugged Cat Converter.

The Computer codes will give you your best clues though.

Take the Car back and tell them you want a Fix For your $500 !! The stuff they did, did no good...

Doc :pimp:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts