Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a bunch of you have been watching the "american hotrod" series. Tonight I finally caught the episode where the alumatub was finished. I gotta say, I really like the car. That car looks awesome. In my opinion it's definately got some fresh new styling, but there are some hints of real retro. Having it all made of aluminum is pretty trick too. The metal finish looks great.
So that's it. Sure I can't even come close to affording it, but I can give kudos on this project.

On related issue. I sure wish the tv show was edited differently. I watch it to see the fabrication. The show has an obvious emphasis on conflict and every little problem. I'm sure glad whenever I'm working on a car somebody isn't taping it so that every little problem can be blown outta proportion. I think they need to change the philosophy of the television production. It's like, if they get 7.5 hours of great fab work, but a half hour of bickering, they'll show the bickering. Show me the fab!
dh

·
Be the MIRACLE!
363 Posts
Yeah, I agree. Car guys want to see how it's done. WE don't need the soap opera bickering and time limits. We get enough of that at work! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
58 Posts
I seen the alumatub in person at Louisville show, I like it but I think it looked better on t.v. I agree with you on the show show the car not the little kids fighting about stupid crap.
:boxing:

·
Kenneth Howard hates you...
572 Posts
The AlumaTub was cool...but I much rather prefered Boyd's AlumaTruck.... Boyd,his wife,Dwayne and Bluebear were at the GoodGuys Columbus show.
Later,
WEIMER

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
dh79 said:
I know a bunch of you have been watching the "american hotrod" series. Tonight I finally caught the episode where the alumatub was finished. I gotta say, I really like the car. That car looks awesome. In my opinion it's definately got some fresh new styling, but there are some hints of real retro. Having it all made of aluminum is pretty trick too. The metal finish looks great.
So that's it. Sure I can't even come close to affording it, but I can give kudos on this project.
If you watched the full series you should have noted that the majority of body fabrication was done by another shop, not by Hot Rods by Boyd. Boyd's problem is that although his shop puts out beautiful cars, most of his employees are flaming idiots (including Boyd - anyone who will run an engine for 10 minutes trying to figure out why it has no oil pressure is an idiot in my book). Because most of his people are buffoons, the real work gets done either by a couple very experienced guys he has, or he farms it out to other shops.

Centerline

·
I'm lookin' to learn.
92 Posts
In a post I made in a different thread I mentioned how much I liked Chip Foose and the way he designs and builds his cars...I also mentioned that Boyd has taken a step back from the hands-on approach with the vehicles he builds. In this episode of the "Alumatub" he said just that very thing. He said 'its been a while since I worked on a car, but I figured I'd help out....the skills are still there' or something to that effect. He was then shown working on the headers. Hope he didn't get blisters.

Boyd's shop can put out nice cars as mentioned but like Centerline has said, most of the work is done elsewhere or by a select few in the shop. Boyd should get his butt out of the office and back on the floor...and cleaning out some deadwood like "Bluebear" and a few others wouldn't be a bad idea. Bluebear (just an example) makes for great comedy-relief due to his stupidity, but that makes for bad business. He'd never work for me if I owned a shop.

I'm very much for the builders such as Foose that get their hands dirty and display a passion for what they are building. Frankly Boyd and his boys are a little lacking in that department in my opinion. He should leave farming to the farmers.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have to agree with Centerline as well. Most of the people on that show would have been fired on their first day if I was involved. He has a few guys that do nice work, but it doesn't seem to be the norm. If you watch any of the discovery channel stuff, they all pretty much focus as much as possible on the drama and personal issues of the people on the show, I suppose so it isn't just a bunch of us gearheads watching.

·
Glad To Be Here
2,240 Posts
Re: Re: Alumatub - thumbs up

Centerline said:
If you watched the full series you should have noted that the majority of body fabrication was done by another shop, not by Hot Rods by Boyd. Boyd's problem is that although his shop puts out beautiful cars, most of his employees are flaming idiots (including Boyd - anyone who will run an engine for 10 minutes trying to figure out why it has no oil pressure is an idiot in my book). Because most of his people are buffoons, the real work gets done either by a couple very experienced guys he has, or he farms it out to other shops.

Centerline
I agree completely!!!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree that a lot of Boyds employees seem pretty goofy. I wouldn't have some of them working for me. I think a big part of it though is how the producers/editors feel like portraying the process. Even if you watched somebody really good, eventually they will make a mistake or run into a stupid problem. I think on this show they like to highlight every little mistake. I guarantee you when I work on a car I make a ton of little snafus that are no big deal, but if you added them all together you could make me look like an idiot if you wanted.

With that said, I sure as heck would not be running that engine without oil pressure. Especially a brand new engine. I wonder how the cam is doing?
dh

·
Be American, Buy American!
222 Posts
I agree with the stupidity of the show. I love the cars at the end of the show. They should start off at the beginning to give the plot, cut the middle and show the end.

Another show that is nearly as bad is overhauling. My .02

Al

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,854 Posts
53LEDSLED if you watch the show on "mute", you can see all the fab and none of that high school drama
Now why didn't I think of that!!!:pain: :smash: Great Idea. :thumbup: Dan

1 - 15 of 15 Posts