Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of repairing all the dents and scratches in my aluminum trim and re-polishing it. Of course this means removing the anodizing in those areas. I'm considering using something like oven cleaner to remove all the anodizing on the parts. I've got a couple of questions on re-applying the anodizing.

First, does anyone know of a good source for this service in the Albany, NY area? Secondly, can you give me an idea of how much this costs?

Any help's appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
Auckland, New Zealand
77 Posts
Having just recently gone through this process here in New Zealand, I can tell you my experience. I had some aluminium rocker mouldings that had anodizing that was all pitted and scratched, so I set about removing it with oven cleaner. It all came off after a couple of tries, so I then proceeded to polish it up before I took it to the anodizer.

What they told me could have saved a whole lot of work, in that they would have to chemically re-strip the mouldings before anodizing. They cannot perform the process even if there is the minutest scrap of anodizing left, in some of the smallest nicks that were almost invisible.

So I could have save myself all that stripping work in the first place.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts