Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
im on a highway to hell
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am trying to straighten out the upper grill on my 66 impala, it is a very delicate design. there are a few dents in the top border of the grill near the center the design of the grill is not flat there are several curves in the metal. i don't know if i'm explaining it right. anyway before i start trying to hammer it out i wanted to try and get some tips on what tools to use or if there is anything special that might help. i can post a few pics if that will help. oh and the grill is aluminum. thanks for your help.

rich.

·
Just one of the guys
3,074 Posts
Helrazr....post a pic to show where it is at. Alumin can be beat around sanded and polished and you would never know anything happened. THE BAD THING is that the grille is anodized to protect it from the elements. After sanding the grille will have to be stripped, buffed and re-anodized..OR it can be clearcoated. Eastwood sells some aluminum polish a coating for wheels that can be used. Or after sanding with a fine, fine paper or going over it with scotchbrite you can forget the polishing and it will have the brushed, billet look to it. My preferenc on a '66 though would be the polished look. There are a few different ways you can go but if you decide to tap out the dents and sand then do not be afraid to do it. Aluminum is probably one of the easier metals to work with and have great results.

Kevin

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.