Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
More for Less Racer
20,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys, my "Google-Fu" has failed and I can't find a source for the material I am looking for.
I'm trying to find really thin wall 2.5" diameter aluminum tubing, on the order of .020" to .031" wall thickness and 11" long, or better yet 4'-8' lengths.

I'm looking to recreate some fuel injection stacks, of which you cannot buy anywhere as replacement, as they will be for a vintage Pete Jackson 8-stack mechanical injection manifold. Vintage individual stack replacementss are beyond mega rare, and there isn't anything available that looks like it could be modified to fit....and I'm not cutting on the manifold.

I can build the spin forming bowl die and roller and spin forrn straight tube into the proper bell end for each stack....but I can't seem to locate anyone selling tubing thin enough. It has to be seamless and either 3003, 5052, or 6061 alloy.
Here's the kicker....

the bent and faded originals I have mic right at .019-.020" wall thick.

So at one time the material did exist, and I can't believe it was made special just for Jackson....they'd be lucky to order more than a couple thousand feet at a time??

I can't find anything today less than .049", and that seems to be a common wall thickness for commercial central vacuum home systems piping.

Anybody have an idea of where to look?

·
More for Less Racer
20,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Click on above.
Thanks!...looks like .028" is as thin as they go at 2.5" diameter...I guess I'd have to call and see if they even sell such a small length as I need and what the cost would be.

Chuck it up on a lathe and bore it out?
I gave that a thought, but boring .030" out of a 2.5" hole that is 12" deep, and avoiding flex and chatter on the .049" wall tube and end up at .020" wall is a tall task, not to mention the time invested to do 16 pcs(2 sets) pushed me away from it. Going to be enough work making the die form and tracing roller to form the bell end.

McMaster Carr has this: McMaster-Carr
6061, .035", 3 or 6 ft.
also looked here: Drawn Aluminum Tube Distributor - Heat Treat & Non-Heat Treat | TW Metals
Thanks!
I was searching without the word "drawn", that seems to be the ticket.
TW Metals is closest to what I'd really lke to have, they have 5052 tube with .028" wall....but $31/ft is on the pricey side unless I can find no other alternative.
McMaster isn't bad with 6061 in .035" wall @.$14/ft but I am a little worried that 6061 may crack or split in the spin forming process. It's an option though.

Really hoping to land in that less than .025" wall category.

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
8,821 Posts
Good place to buy from. I get Brass and Bronze and other specialty metal to murder from them.
This one is .020 wall x 2.5" Nominal

Another at .065 wall

Choose custom lengths if you wish.

·
More for Less Racer
20,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Good place to buy from. I get Brass and Bronze and other specialty metal to murder from them.
This one is .020 wall x 2.5" Nominal

Another at .065 wall

Choose custom lengths if you wish.
Thanks.
The first Online Metals link is to Schedule 40 pipe, that is .200" wall, nor .020" so that would not work.

The .065" is just more breathing area that I don't want to give up...the injection's throttle plates are 2.5" OD, the original ram tubes at .020" wall only cut flow path to 2.460" ID and counting the blade on edge and shaft still hanging in the flow path at WOT I really don't want to restrict it with too much wall thickness.... the .065 cuts ram tube to 2.370" and I would rather not go that far.

I'll get some pictures up of what I have here shortly, it is 7" tall base casting to the throttle shaft height, then 6.5" tall thinwall ram tube above that.
I've got 6 vintage dinged, scratched, and patina's originals(wish I had all 8, just to straighten them a touch and leave patina'd for effect), but at some tume in the past someone ruined or lost the other two tubes, and they were replaced with what appears to be Hilborn in a close size, about 2.550" OD by .065" wall that they crudely belt sanded the bottom 1/2" of the tube to fit in the 2.5" clamp....plus the flare shape to the bell is a different radius.

i'd like to make a couple sets, in 7" and maybe 10" or 12" length for testing to cut down accordingly.

I'm just trying to get all my ducks in a row, I'm working out the details for a mechanical/EFI blend injection conversion set-up that replaces the barrel valve and 8 port distribution block with a block holding 8 EFI injectors feeding the stacks through the original mechanical lines and check valved original style mechanical spray nozzles....minimal electrics showing and no exposed fuel rails on the injectors.
Visit Joe Blo Speed Shop if you want to see the reference. Just feeding stacks, instead of a bugcatcher hat.
EFI/Mech Blend Hat Injection – Joe Blo Speed Shop

I want to avoid it looking obvious that it is converted.

It is going on a approx. 650 hp 406 sbc, on E85. Planning to use MegaSquirt for control.

·
More for Less Racer
20,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How's this progressing Eric?
Still in the information search and planning stage....I've got the injector sizings and pump figured out, ....overtime at work has been killer and i haven't had much time to delve into it beyond that.
40 other things to get ready on the build also, from head porting to sending headers and collector/cut-outs for ceramic coating. Thinking about sending the injector base and throttle base castings out for some sort of coating too...buddy had both a Super Vic and a vintage SY-1 Smokey Ram Jet-hot coated silver and it looks really slick.
It'll probably initially run with a Super Victor manifold and Holley 3-barrel 950 cfm to work any engine/trans/converter bugs out, then get switched to the injection when i have it ready....may not be till fall.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.