Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really need to know if I am crazy or not! I really want to paint my car, but do not have the time. In attempt to avoid a chain joint, I decided I would go to a neighborhood joint to check it out. First I was told they don't paint whole cars, they do mostly collision work, then I was told that it would cost me four grand if they did it! I told them all I want is a single stage paint job on a car that has the bodywork completed.

He told me that there is no such thing as single stage paint, everything is base/clear and he doesn't know what I'm smoking. I said isn't that a PPG sign outside, and he's like yeah thats all I use. Well doesn't PPG sell single stage paints? And he's like I don't know where you get your information your wrong. And that the original paint on my '77 Regal was clear coated.

Am I crazy???

Are most bodyshops like this? Are they going to refuse to paint a whole car? Are they going to insist on no single stage paint that I have to go with base/clear?

3,214 Posts
Many collision shops do not do overall repaints. The time to do one refinish job can take as long as several collision jobs, besides the additional problems involved.

It really doesn't surprise me that that shop soesn't have any single stage product. Most shops doing collision repairs use only BC/CC or 3 stage, as that is what is on most all cars that come in.

Your best bet is to find a shop that does custom type work.

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,459 Posts
Yes you could get a SS paint job. In fact, if that shop has a mixing system there (most any REAL shop will) you can mix SS as well as BC/CC colors off it. I don't care what the brand, there are VERY few shops with bc/cc only systems.

They guy is smoking crack.

·
Registered
717 Posts
thats what its like around here too. most shops are only doing the collision work. if you can get them to spray a whole car then its just an in and out quick job and it will cost you anywhere from 3 to 4 g's. if its something you want done real nice, forget it. you have to go to a custom shop to have something like that done. if you search around you should be able to find someone to do it though.

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
The guy is an idiot, ask him if he has ever heard of PPG Concept paint. I agree, you are better off looking for a shop that does specialty work.

Several years ago my wife had an 85 Olds Cutlass Supreme Broughm that we had since it was new. This was a very clean car, but as you probably know about that time period GM had paint problems. I decided the car needed to be repainted, did all the prep work, primer, wet sand, primer, wet sand. It was slick as a baby's behind. Took the car to a leading body shop in our area for a paint job. Was horrified to find that they went over the entire car with a DA sander prior to painting. You could see the marks under the paint. I was so furious I could have cleaned the place out. It took us six months of haggling to get the car refinished properly.

Vince

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hey 77,
I hope that guys is wrong about PPG SS. I have been working with it on my car for a month or so. I would have asked him what color is the sky in his world. PPG has a couple of SS systems. Three or four G's will buy alot of paint and elbow grease at my house.

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,459 Posts
By the way, to add to this guys problems, that 77 Regal was NOT clear coated.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.