Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ran my Malibu for the first time last week, engine consists of 355 ,12.5 to comp,crane f260 solid cam, [email protected] intake, 268 @.050 exh..557 i, .572 exh lift. ported 292 turbo heads,old strip dominator intake(very low profile).1.75 headers.3500 stall, th350 4.10 gear,tires are m/t 26.5x10 slicks 800Holley dbl pumper.Car ran 8.15(track has no stripe, I lifted at the first mph beams instead of finish line) first run 1.67 60 ft time not even sure what rpm I shifted at my first real strip run in 20 years. Then I stripped a poly lock on the second run and hit 8.50 at 84mph then repeated cause I was so pumped to be running it I didn't hear the miss with open headers.Noticed miss this time and stopped for the day.So the 8.50 was on 7 cylinders what should I realistically expect from this combo?

·
Banned
9,993 Posts
on 7 cylinders....

I would fix your problem, work on tuning it and after about 20 passes of tweaking see what you're at. You're probably looking at low 8's or high sevens once you get it all sorted. Getting it all sorted is a BIG part of it.

·
World Famous VF-14
468 Posts
I'd swap out to a much better head, camel humps are only good for door stops and restoations nowadays. step into the 21st century. Vortec chambers is where its at. More efficient, takes less timing , reducing the risk of detonation and more power.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
With the 8.15 first pass I expect 7's.My neighbors camaro we built runs 7.80 all day long with a 292h comp cam and 1.94 valved hump heads.My heads are not double hump heads they are the old over the counter pro stock/cup heads.They are the same heads used by Grumpy jenkins to dominate pro stock with the monza and vega back in the day.I realize time moves on but if they were capable of 600 to 700 hp back then they still should be.(I hope).If the car is hooking will suspension tricks make it faster or is the goal just no spin and your good?No idea what weight is the car has no interior and a 6 point roll bar but no other lightening as yet.Ap 72 your opinion is just keep tweeking and it should pick up? any changes you guys see need made?The intake has me thinking it just needs replaced as it is 70's tech and may not be capable of feeding it at higher rpm the cam is speced to run to 7400 rpm.

·
http://www.warsprints.com
2,024 Posts
barnym17 said:
With the 8.15 first pass I expect 7's.My neighbors camaro we built runs 7.80 all day long with a 292h comp cam and 1.94 valved hump heads.My heads are not double hump heads they are the old over the counter pro stock/cup heads.They are the same heads used by Grumpy jenkins to dominate pro stock with the monza and vega back in the day.I realize time moves on but if they were capable of 600 to 700 hp back then they still should be.(I hope).If the car is hooking will suspension tricks make it faster or is the goal just no spin and your good?No idea what weight is the car has no interior and a 6 point roll bar but no other lightening as yet.Ap 72 your opinion is just keep tweeking and it should pick up? any changes you guys see need made?The intake has me thinking it just needs replaced as it is 70's tech and may not be capable of feeding it at higher rpm the cam is speced to run to 7400 rpm.
I would change the intake to maybe a Victor Jr. or similar.

·
Registered
890 Posts
barnym17 said:
... 355 ,12.5 to comp,crane f260 solid cam, [email protected] intake, 268 @.050 exh..557 i, .572 exh lift. ported 292 turbo heads,old strip dominator intake(very low profile).1.75 headers.3500 stall, th350 4.10 gear,tires are m/t 26.5x10 slicks 800Holley dbl pumper
With that cam in a 355 you will need a good 8" converter ~5000 stall,
target 60 foot times in the high 1.4s

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
would a 6.00 be to deep? Just happen to have one laying around.About the converter I thought it might be to tight but it came with the car so I decided to try it before replacing.Thanks for all the suggestions, as i said all my racing has been in circle on dirt this is all new to me.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I can't argue that F-BIRD'88, with the low gear of the T350 combined with the
4.10 rear end and the short tires the gear ratio is low enough for good drag
strip times; not optimal but sufficient. Installing a converter that flashes into
the power range of the engine is necessary to achieve good 1/8 mile times,
60 ft times are critical.

Multiplying his 4.10 gear times the 2.52 first gear of his T350 I get
4.10 x 2.52 = 10.33; this with a 26" tall tire

Multiplying my 4.56 gear times the 1.76 first gear of my powerglide i get
4.56 x 1.76 = 8.02; i run this with a 31" tall tire.

My gear is not optimal; my point is he is running a much lower first gear
than I, yet his 1.67 60 ft time is slower than my best of 1.51 with a very
similar engine. The primary difference is the converter, I run a 8"
5000 stall.

If he were to install a similar converter his 60 ft times should be in the 1.4s
because his effective firs gear ratio is lower than mine, assuming power is
simular and traction is not a factor.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.