Hot Rod Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
yea i thank averythang hit the fan all at 1 time. that job would not have been for me. i guess i have been lucky as far as i know i never had it. im 61 i stay in my garage a lot. i done 4 engines at that time. 2 drag 2 custom

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
yea i thank averythang hit the fan all at 1 time. that job would not have been for me. i guess i have been lucky as far as i know i never had it. im 61 i stay in my garage a lot. i done 4 engines at that time. 2 drag 2 custom
make sure youre running a good clutched fan. and Im with the other guys, you've saved plenty of money, buy a Summit K1101 cam/lifters and life will be less stressful
am getn cam n lifters next n do heads last,I keep ckn marketplace n see many people selling heads. maybe find something better than mine. alot of these parts around from unfinished projects. not a truck, but very cool 58 buick
Plant Wheel Tire Car Vehicle

·
Registered
1979 Chevrolet Malibu 496-TH400-9" (cruiser). 1992 Chevrolet S10 355-700r4-7.625" (daily driver).
247 Posts
Wow! That's a great car! Chrome and big fins have always looked amazing to me. That will be a head turner.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I think it's a 57 not 58. I am not sure but 57 chev parts like windows, door parts might be the same. there are other cars trucks out there just have to look for them. With the inflation getn bad people more open to lowering prices

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I would want to know for sure what pistons you had in the engine. If the "stock" engine happens to have 4 valve relief flat top pistons...adding closed chamber, cast iron heads to a shorter duration "stock" cam might run into problems running on pump gas. If the plan is 87 octane, the open chamber 441/882 might be the safe bet.

One other thing to note would be whether or not you need the heads to have the accessory bolt holes.
a guy gave me the cly heads in the photo 1 set 33882 ,1 set 95896, 1 set 884520 they are mostly dirty from siting alongtime The 95896 , 33882 have intake valve just under 2" (1.94 ?) maybe will scrap them dont know. they are trying to sell 882s for 100.00 in this area

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
a guy gave me the cly heads in the photo 1 set 33882 ,1 set 95896, 1 set 884520 they are mostly dirty from siting alongtime The 95896 , 33882 have intake valve just under 2" (1.94 ?) maybe will scrap them dont know. they are trying to sell 882s for 100.00 in this area
seems odd the 896 heads have 1.94 intake valves ( I read they came with smaller valves)These heads were from a 71 year old hot rod guy cleaning out his garage

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
the 896 heads have got a washer or spacer under the valve springs also these have a thick valve spring retainers flat with a "H" cast into the retainer tops. the other heads have the regular retainers

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
going to breadown the 882s , 896s and see how worn the valve guides are worn unless low wear will scrap them. some of the heads look like they were never run with new valves I have a tray I can soak them in old atf n diesel fuel

21 - 32 of 32 Posts