Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Instagram: partsretriever
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1974 AMC Javelin. It has the 4 barrel 360 with the T10 4speed and 3.54 gears out back. It has a Holley on top and the air pump in the dump. I'm 18 and I got it as a grad present, and it's visible in the project journal. Donations gladly accepted.

The story...
I like to run it a little bit just to keep everything going, since it's not road-worthy. The air filter (as shown in the project journal) wasn't bad, but when it was runnin there I saw one on a shelf in a box. I shut 'er down and the air filter turns out to be the right size and brand new, so I thought "might as well go for it, once its roadworthy a KN or Holley Powershot is going there anyway".

So I put the new air filter on and dump the old. Slap the lid back on and fire it back up. The oil pressure gauge reads 0 psi. I give it a little gas real quick to 3000 and it reads 10, I let it back to idle, and 0. During this I hear nothing unusual. Assuming the gauge is ok, I think the oil filter pickup just got someting in it. Or the oil pulp died, I don't know.

Is ther a way for me to drop the oil pan without removing the engine from the car? If the engine was getting no oil pressure, how good would the bearings be for max. oilless run time of 30 sec.? Could there be anything else wrong? Just state your comments and opinions.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Don't drop the pan because the oil pump is on the front of the motor. I would check the gears in the pump if the oil filter does not take care of the problem. The oil pump gears can be bought at any good parts store. When you pull off the pump make sure that the pump housing is not warped. You can check it by using a good pushrod and rolling it over where the gasket goes.

I had a brand new rebulit 401 that did the same thing. Come to find out that the machine shop did not get the cam bearings in all the way. Keith

·
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know anything about AMC oil systems. :rolleyes:
Is the oil pump externally mounted up front? Kind of unique setup if it is.

Binderrod,
what AMC do you have? do you go to any AMC sites? I go to amcforum.net; good site.

-matt

·
Registered
57 Posts
Matt, I had a Jeep with a 401 AMX motor with all the good parts. I called the Jeep a Johny Cash car because they have parts from all the other manufacturers in them.

My brother has a 69 AMX with a 390 in it. It hauls butt. Keith

·
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hehehe... I love GM stuff come from a GM family, but everyone knows what a Camaro is. That's why I like the AMCs. Plus the 304-360-390-401 (any I missed?) engines are a good design for the most part I believe. That's just fyi. I'll get back when I put a new oil filter in and see if psi is better. May take a while (few weeks).;)
matt

·
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it's been a while, but 7 dollars for a wix filter and sneaking into the pole barn where the car is at Grandma's house without her knowing it (I wasn't supposed to be there) and changing it despite spiderwebs an underbody coated (literally) with grease/dirt and a few dead mice, I changed the oil filter (from above) and changed the black as tar oil. Oil pressure is nice and strong; maxes at around 60psi.:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts