Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am posting this in hope that you guys might be able to help my friend out as you have all helped me in the past... I copied his post from another forum to do with his car specifically, but I know there is a lot of knowledge here in this board, and I am hoping that maybe with your help, we can get his car up and running again! Its a 1982 AMC Eagle, with the stock 4.2L inline 6. I know, not much of a hot rodding motor, but it can sure pull a stump with the torque it produces! Anyways, here is his post!

So I guess all my problems started yesterday with an audible ticking... I woke this morning ( which was fairly cold) to a very loud banging from the motor..sounded like hitting a hammer very hard on metal.. spent all afternoon tearing her apart....found a pushrod just sitting loose and not in contact with the rocker. There is some marring on the bottom of the exhaust valve rocker, 3rd cylinder from the front. And my aluminum valve cover has some marks on the inside.... the valves themselves all look fine.. top of pistons and cylinder walls all look ok... there is no obvious damage to anything.. we even pulled the lifter from the offending valve to check for abnormal cam wear but it looks fine. The motor turns over easily by hand and all cylinders and lifters appear to rise and fall on as expected.. However there is a slight mechanical metal on metal sound on every second revolution for some reason. Ive looked in my manual about valve lash etc, and couldn't see any adjustments.. im guessing there isnt any.. and I just need to make sure all valves and springs are to spec. but I dunno... my question is what the heck do you guys think i should do now? can I just replace a few parts, do a head rebuild , or throw the whole thing out and start again, or what, im confused...

·
Not Considered a Senior Member
10,722 Posts
Sounds like the rocker either broke, the stud pulled, or the rocker backed off so far the pushrod was slamming into the valve cover. Had this happen several times on small block`s. When it did I would check the stud, replace the rocker and the pushrod, readjust the valve and keep getting up.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much!!! Really value your opinion as I have read thousands of your posts! I think between reading posts from you and the late Doc Vette I have had all my questions answered!!

Thanks again!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.