Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I am happy to join the HotRodders Forum thank you for having me! :welcome:

I wanted to start an interesting thread for a different type of car the AMC Marlin 66 232. Let me start by saying I love this thing! Fell in love with it from the first second, I saw it.

Well here is my question... I have a Jeep Cherokee 2000 2wd as a full donor car(been hit on the side - totaled).

Will the engine/transmission, front axle, and rear axle bolt on to the body without heavy modifications? I understand that the axle is a bit longer than the body and you will need to flare the fenders to make it work.
I really would love to have disk brakes and a 50-year drivetrain update.

Floor panels are rusted. I was going to replace them with these guys.
https://www.c2cfabrication.com/collections/all/amc+rambler+1966

For wheels go with a hotrod style wheels
http://images.iconfigurators.com/images/wheels/large/americanracing_vn815_20x9-1507-353-00-5001.png

Here are some pictures of her.

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
welcome to the forum. Sounds like a great project! I'm not an AMC guy so I have no idea what kinda fits? A torch and a saw and a welder can make a lot of things fit!

·
Registered
9,050 Posts
I had a Marlin back in the eighties. A small V-8 and twin stick overdrive. Also had a Classic 770 hardtop. About the same chassis.

These cars use a closed, torque tube driveshaft, So if the rear end is replaced. Some form of restraint must be engineered to keep the new components in place. Ladder bar, four bar, three bar, leaf spring/shackles, etc. To keep axle in place and prevent housing rotation and lateral movement. Lots of work/fabrication on a unit/body car. :thumbup:

·
Member - AMC/Rambler "guru"
1,825 Posts
Well, I AM a Rambler guy and pretty familiar with the Marlin body. It's essentially the same as 63-66 Classic bodies, all except the roof line and rear sheet metal. I'm assuming you have a Jeep 4.0L I-6 to put in. The engine itself will bolt right in using the 232 side plates/mounts. Adapting the wiring is a bit harder, but doable. I recommend lifting the engine bay wiring harness from the Jeep and using the entire harness in place of the Rambler under hood harness, splice into the Rambler where the Rambler harness exits the firewall (no plug on the older cars). Cut the harness 18-24" from the firewall, use a wiring diagram to ID the wires. ID the wires on the Jeep harness BEFORE cutting the plug off -- use a connector pin-out. Splice like wires together. You will have to ID any extra wires from the Jeep harness and determine what to do with them. Use the Jeep harness for lights and everything. You may have to lengthen a few wires and replace some connectors, but you end up with much newer wiring and a neater harness. Takes a good bit of time and effort to separate the engine and body wiring in the Jeep harness.

The rear axle will fit -- use a deeper offset wheel rather than flaring your fenders. May have to custom order wheels, but you can use spacers on the front and order all four the same. You need at least 4" backset wheels to clear with something like a 205 width tire. I ran a Commanche rear axle in mine at first with 3-3/4" backset wheels. Wasn't quite enough. Another option is a late model Ranger 8.8" (93-09) or even the 7.5" for the six. 7.5" is cheaper and lighter. If you don't plan on doing more than a little hop-up to the 4.0L the 7.5" is plenty strong, so why carry the extra weight around? These are an inch narrower than the Explorer axle, which is about the same width as a Jeep XJ Cherokee or MJ Commanche axle. The late Ranger axle is about the same width as the 63-66 big Rambler axle.

To use a different axle and transmission you will need to build a rear suspension. You can keep the stock springs, just bolt the stock spring seats to the new axle. Drill and tap the bolt hole in the axle tube and locate in the same place. Just a single fine thread 3/8" bolt holding the seats on. Since the torque-tube is also the primary axle location device you have to do something to replace it. Long ladder bars work well, they need to be at least 36", but the longer the better. Universal four link kits work if you can do some welding. Several options! You might want to go to The AMC Forum, American Motors Discussion Forums and do some research there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts