Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a lover of classic and hot rod American cars. I have absolutely no interest in foreign stuff. Is anybody else fed up with the ever growing amount of foreign cars in Hemmings Classic Car America’s Definitive Collector Car Magazine? I feel it as overstepped boundaries of “America’s Definitive Collector Car Magazine”, last I knew The Hemming’s foreign car magazine failed. And now Hemmings is forcing those failed foreign cars into a successful periodical. Not in my interest. It would be fine to shove a Chevy engine in some piece of foreign crap. At least it would go fast. But not in the realm of an American Classic. A 49 Mercury with a modern engine yes, not a Morgan, MG, or Lotus or any other listed in the British greats section of the August issue

I will say good bye to subscription that expires in Dec’20. :welcome:

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have both Hemming’s magazines. MCM does not seem to put the foreign crap in it like the other does. I have enjoyed the non muscle American cars of the 40’s, 50’s, and 60’s as well as the muscle cars. But have no interest in the non American stuff. It’s like having a wine magazine and have articles in it on milk, radio frequencies, concrete, or drywall. No way it belongs.

·
More for Less Racer
20,380 Posts
It's "America's Definitive Collector Car Magazine", meaning if you live in America and collect vintage cars, this is your magazine....doesn't say it is American cars only, it includes any car being owned or collected in America.

It would need to be labeled something like "The Definitive Collector Car Magazine for American Domestic Automobiles" to be American made cars only.

Do you exclude Beaumont's, and Acadian's, and Mercury trucks...since they are made in Canada??
How about the '73 Monte Carlo Landau my Uncle has owned since new, which has just under 40,000 miles on it now and still looks like new....but was made in Canada?

What about the Shelby Cobra, Sunbeam Tiger, De Tomaso Pantera, Opel GT, Ford Capri?

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
Ya know, in a 600 page book it’s shouldn’t be to hard to flip past a few pages.
There’s a lot more to worry about in the world than that.
JMHO

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
And let’s go a step further!
Everyone complains about the lack of ‘american’ built parts or services and then given the opportunity to buy American they run the other way.
Can’t get more american than an American company publishing an American book monthly while employing american people in America.
Rant over!

Now let’s go look for that North American built Pontiac with it’s Chevy 427 still sitting in the engine bay!

·
True Hotrodder
1,858 Posts
True, but I think he's right too. He is voting or choosing with his wallet which I agree with. There are a lot of businesses out here right now that think they are more important than the consumers, that we just flock to them because we "love" them or something. At least in my case and it appears 57Nomad, we can walk away from something when it no longer meets our expectations.

To say that it's just a few pages, get over it, seems to be the general consensus on too many things today.**************************

·
Registered
940 Posts
Ya know, in a 600 page book it’s shouldn’t be to hard to flip past a few pages.
There’s a lot more to worry about in the world than that.
JMHO
Well said. I think many, if not most of us, enjoy reading about all kinds of cars like the British, European, and Aussie performance cars of the 60s-80s. They put a premium on handling and braking, whereas American manufacturers built cars that were boat-like luxury cruisers or 1/4 mile performance cars, with little thought paid to vehicle dynamics.

As an example, even my wife's 1980 Volvo station wagon had an OHC fuel-injected engine, 4 wheel disc brakes, and radial tires. That thing would smoke any wobbly American station wagon on a winding road, and get 25 mpg doing it.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It is my money buying the magazine and if it changed and now has content I’m not interested in I STOP BUYING IT.

A YEAR AGO THERE WAS NO FOREIGN STUFF BETWEEN IT’S COVERS. Sorry, turn off cap’s. Hemming’s had a foreign magazine and it failed. They stoped producing it. Foreign car interest must be poor. It’s not a matter of just accepting what they publish. I have an option like the TV just turn it off or change the channel. I’m not accepting of the change as some here are. That content changed, and so my subscription stops.

·
Registered
446 Posts
57Nomad, you need to find a magazine called "American Classics"...
I sympathize with your tastes, but in this case, you're skewing the meaning of "America's" vs. "American"

I agree with Bogie as well, Hemmings just seems too snooty, like all the Councours rubbish... beautiful cars, typically owned by total dweebs that don't know "lefty loosey" from "righty tighty"...
If they're paying Americans to build them for them, they get a brownie point at least...

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Well said. I think many, if not most of us, enjoy reading about all kinds of cars like the British, European, and Aussie performance cars of the 60s-80s. They put a premium on handling and braking, whereas American manufacturers built cars that were boat-like luxury cruisers or 1/4 mile performance cars, with little thought paid to vehicle dynamics.

As an example, even my wife's 1980 Volvo station wagon had an OHC fuel-injected engine, 4 wheel disc brakes, and radial tires. That thing would smoke any wobbly American station wagon on a winding road, and get 25 mpg doing it.
They may have cornered better but they were down on power to get the m.p.g. , & as anyone who worked in a shop in the 60's& 70',s will tell you , the construction , engineering , electronics & reliability sucked !:mad:

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
You do know that when parts are advertised as "Made in America", that covers the lower tip of South America to Canada, it's all America. Most of it coming from Mexico and a little from Canada. "Made in USA" is a different story. Being "an American" doesn't really mean much either. If you say that you are a citizen of the USA, that's proper, but yes, I am used to saying I'm an American (Citizen).

·
Registered
242 Posts
Buy American

Great discussion! I am in favor of the 'buy American' sentiment, but I also realize that there is a world economy involved. If you look at the foreign car situation, even the Toyotas, Hondas and Kias are usually assembled here, and the foundrys, parts suppliers and dealers employ lots of US citizens, paid in USA dollars. I know the profits may go to a foreign bank in another country, but many a paycheck gets deposited right here. Biggest challenge for me is the Chinese stuff. That's why the intake manifold on my T-bucket is an Edelbrock, and not a cheaper Chinese knockoff. Lets all try to avoid the cheap Chinese junk when we can, even though it's difficult.

·
Grand Prix user
5,426 Posts
I don't understand the distinction between terms, as far as what is from where or where it's sales money goes. Any more than I understand racial distinctions. Perhaps we should hyphenate country of part origin like we do people race titles.:confused: If that would appease those who "do".

I quit magazines a long time ago. Before quitting TV. Because nothing shown applied to my hobby anymore or appealed to my interest. Nothing affordable for me discussed, and anything in print certainly is no longer "news" unless you like it aged.

I won't bash Hemmings because in recent years it has been with their assistance that the shop I work at has entered fresh rides in the SEMA show. I just fix old cars for a living but am appreciative for that.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
As I stated Hemming’s combined the failed foreign crap periodical with the successful one. When over 1/4 of the magazine (August issue) is dedicated to foreign crap it exceeds my tolerance of “some”. I’ll bet there are silent majority that do not find the foreign stuff beneficial nor interesting. And the result will be reduced subscriptions.

Some interesting responses, some a bit off topic, but because the magazine has changed some of it’s direction like I stated my subscription stops.

·
Registered
267 Posts
i'm actually ok with any brand, besides FIAT because their stuff is CRAP. i've just always had GM because i grew up GM, my uncle was a line tech at Buick dealership and would bring his "projects" around etc. We just always bought GM and i think GM has the best quality and design.

As far as Hemming's, i will abide by the notion that if you don't have anything nice to say, you shouldn't say it. (This, in itself, says something about Hemming's......)

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Look it, this is USA the United States of America. Things made here has as far as I’ve been on this earth are referred to as “American” or American made, or made in USA. Any of them are referencing this country not Britain, not Germany, not Japan or any other nation. America‘s classics has nothing to do with cars of foreign origin. It specifically states on the cover “Classic Car America’s definitive collector car magazine” nothing to do with non American crap. Sorry but none of your twisting of words is going to make it acceptable to contain foreign crap in an American magazine that is about the topic of American classic cars.

This country is based on freedom of speech and expression of one’s mind.
Not everything can be “nice” or fluffy pretty so if you find it offensive then don’t read it. But don’t tell me I shouldn’t say it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts