Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know these have been around in one form or another for a long time, just thought I'd get some opinions.

Have a look

30 horsepower seems a tad optimistic, and 24,000 rpm turbine speed, well, I seriously doubt it. Seems like a gimmic for the ricer crowd to me.

·
Left Nut, Right Nut....Squish!
363 Posts
couple months ago I seen a tech article where some company dyno'd both a naturally aspirated vs the electric blower on the same engine.
The blower didnt do much of anything for gains except restrict airflow to the engine.
mabey something like that might work pretty good for a small small small motor(say a briggs n straton go kart :)) but for a bigger engine it just eats too much air and theres no way that little electric thing can hang let alone force air into it.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hmmm...

"Q: Will the Electric Superchargers harm my engine?

a: Installing our Jet Stream™ Electric Supercharger is not harmful to your engine in any way. Your factory warranty will also not be affected by the installation of our supercharger."

Yea, right, I can see it now, you build it, install it, damage your engine, then bring it back to the dealer.Those folks are always looking for a reason NOT to fix your car under warranty but they will happy to fix it after they see this mickeymouse unit?
I love this wording also...

"you will also benefit from a savings in your gas mileage up to 10% or more!"

So just what is it... "up to 10%" or "more'... can't be both.
Oh, and lets see, your forcing more air into your engine so your going to increase mileage, how, by making ir run too lean?. Yea, right. This is the most stupid claim they make.. a supercharger is not needed/wanted except when your foot is in it.

Think I will stick with my belt driven technology for now.

·
Come Home Safe Soldier
846 Posts
Well if it is a sham,does that mean that the product advertised on late night infomercials,where they drain the oil and coat the internals with the substitue,then drain it,start it with the rocker cover off,spraying it with water while it keeps running are false claims also????

Kidding around guys.......I know,I know.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nope, no CRX hiding the in the wings, just good ol detroit iron. I came by the site while looking for people who'd turboed SBC's, lookin at the fuel delivery, plumbing, and parts sources on em. I clicked on one of the hits and that little sucker popped up. It's so ridiculous that I had to post it.

·
Be American, Buy American!
222 Posts
It might work if you get a lot of wet hair in your system. It looks like a hair dryer to me. You would need an inverter in order to power it up. WHAT A WASTE!

Al

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
So what happens when one of those little plastic fins from that boat fan breaks off and goes into your engine? Those blades are also WIDE open, doesnt matter how fast you spin that thing, you'd have way too much back flow out of the blades that they would never make boost.

Only "real" electric supercharger I know of is the Eram supercharger. Gains all of 8 HP, but cool watching the thing hover!

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have tried something similar a few years ago as a quick experiment. Needless to say it didn't make a difference and my first of two design was actually a huge restriction even though it looked like it couldn't be.

The only way I can see that an electric setup might ever work is to somehow drive a turbo's compressor housing with a very strong electric motor. But then I think it would place a big strain on the vehicle's electrical system.

I have even thought about the the possibility of using something like a jumping castle's compressor because of the large volume of air it pump but the big question would be: Can it maintain enough pressure without too much backflow? The problems here will most definitely be electrical system and plumbing even if it could work.

·
Registered
55 Posts
if it only flows 750 cfm it wouldnt do anything to a carb 750 or higher and anything over 750 would just be getting restricted. I think this is meant for sub 2 liter engines.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.