Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, let me personally apologize to the 2 individuals I referred to in this thread More Cam Tech, close LSA xntrik and automotive breath. Also to any members of HBB who may have been offended. My juvenile post was off the cuff, an attempt to display rude posting behavior observed on this board from time to time. It was not meant to be taken literally.

Apologies to all. 71C10

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
71C10 said:
First, let me personally apologize to the 2 individuals I referred to in this thread More Cam Tech, close LSA xntrik and automotive breath. Also to any members of HBB who may have been offended. My juvenile post was off the cuff, an attempt to display rude posting behavior observed on this board from time to time. It was not meant to be taken literally.

Apologies to all. 71C10

Peace, brother :thumbup: Thanks for the PM. :welcome:

Attachments

·
Registered
17,613 Posts
I want to know what xntrik thinks he knows, but without all the drama.

I have respect for Vizard and for xntrik, but in my opinion this LDA- based cam selection is meant for a purpose-built racing engine with perfectly engineered intake and exhaust systems.
In my opinion, the audience on this forum is mainly backyard hot rodders who are looking for a little help with their daily drivers, they are not professional engine builders who would optimize their build to extract every last foot pound of torque or horsepower.

Then again, I could be wrong. :)

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
engineczar said:
If we can keep it to just a technical discussion about LSA then I don't have a problem with opening it back up. I've done it before.

All in favor?
Mmmm, no. If you open it up under the premise of "here is what I read in an article" then that would suit me just fine. If it is the same article that Vizard wrote up back in Oct, Nov, Dec of last year it was some theories he had on cam timing. Was interesting reading but....theories and his thoughts just the same.

·
Registered
890 Posts
To anyone that read my posts on the close LSA thread it was obvious that
I was and am still interested in learning more about the benefits of closing
or widening the lobe separation angle. By all means reopen it.

For those that are interested in or opposed to grooving cylinder heads; I will
start a new thread about a few of my many winter projects. We really wore
out the 4x4 vortec truck thread, may it RIP

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
automotive breath said:

I would be interested in knowing if you have ever dyno tested an engine, removed and grooved the heads and then dyno tested them on the same short-block. But PM me or save the answer until your ready to start a new thread.

·
Registered
17,613 Posts
automotive breath said:

Are you talking about the "quench trench" technology that was touted by the guy from India?

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
4 to 1 voted in favor of reopening.

One of the top engine experts in the USA, David Vizard, wrote in Popular Hot Rodding, July 2006, p. 56, "Be The Camshaft Expert". Go to the website.http://www.popularhotrodding.com/tech/0607phr_camshaft_basics/

Isky cams, http://www.iskycams.com/techtips.php#2003 scroll read.

Mr. Moderator, maybe you shouldn't re-open anything that might challenge someone to logically explain their reasoning in defense of their viewpoint,

especially if they disagree with 50+ years of cam grinding experience by one of THE major cam grinders in the USA.

Here's the links. Let the interested read for themselves.

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,098 Posts
xntrik said:
4 to 1 voted in favor of reopening.

One of the top engine experts in the USA, David Vizard, wrote in Popular Hot Rodding, July 2006, p. 56, "Be The Camshaft Expert". Go to the website.http://www.popularhotrodding.com/tech/0607phr_camshaft_basics/

Isky cams, http://www.iskycams.com/techtips.php#2003 scroll read.

Mr. Moderator, maybe you shouldn't re-open anything that might challenge someone to logically explain their reasoning in defense of their viewpoint,

especially if they disagree with 50+ years of cam grinding experience by one of THE major cam grinders in the USA.

Here's the links. Let the interested read for themselves.

That particular thread about LSA will remain closed. I feel a more appropriate thread would be for people who are interested in discussing LSA to follow the two links you have supplied, read what is there like you did, and come back and discuss them. Dave Vizard and Ed Iskenderian are two very accomplished and knowledgeable figures in the world of performance and their articles make for some interesting reading that will get everyones minds thinking about the subject. If others have different viewpoints then they should at least be able to make their points without it being played out like it's a game show. The one thing I've learned in my years of engine building is that for subjects like this there are no 100% correct answers. What's right, is what works. The engine combination in relation to the application will dictate what cam profile to use.

"Mr Moderator"

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.