Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
1969 Mustang Coupe Project Car
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone:
I'm installing a new EFI system on the stang, anyone have a good AN6 to hardline fitting they would recommend. Looking for good brands and what to stay away from. Have any of you tried the compression type?
Thanks
Mark

·
More for Less Racer
20,117 Posts
I've used both the Earl's and the Summit house brand compression ferrule fitting hard line to AN adapters, on 1/2" aluminum fuel line.
No trouble with them, they worked great.

1/2" compression to -8AN male nipple is the only size I've used.
This style:
Earl's Performance AT165006ERL Earl's Performance Tube Adapter Fittings | Summit Racing

Also available as a hard line compression to swiveling female AN socket style:
Summit Racing SUM-2200075B Summit Racing® AN to Tube Adapter Fittings | Summit Racing

·
Registered
119 Posts
You might want to look at JIC fittings instead of AN fittings. They are industrial fittings with basically the same design. They are used on heavy equipment like dozers etc. They are also a lot less expensive than the same thing with an AN name. Available on line at Discount Hydraulic Hose | Your Online Hydraulic Shop . You can find them at any hydraulic hose shop on line, McMaster Carr, Ebay, Amazon and lots of other places.

·
1969 Mustang Coupe Project Car
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks all:
I've never heard of JIC but the site looks interesting. I didn't dig that deep into the site but are they hydraulic lines only? Are hydraulic seals different than fuel and are there differences I need to be aware of? I mean this awful California blend of gas has all kinds of weird stuff in it. Couldn't Califoria gas with it's methanol and other additives potentally be bad for a straight hydraulic rated seal?
Thanks
Mark

·
More for Less Racer
20,117 Posts
JIC can directly replace AN in most industry/automotive(probably not allowed in aircraft tho' ??).

I've used them on fuel lines when you don't care about either weight(JIC nearly always steel, not aluminum) or looks(they aren't as pretty as anodized aluminum AN fittings).
Typical finish is gold irridite or silver zinc washed.

If building a high flow volume system the JIC often have a slightly smaller thru hole than dedicated AN....I've drilled JIC bulkhead fittings for use in a fuel cell to match the AN fitting bore size used at the engine compartment so that the JIC wasn't a flow restriction in the line.

Thee is no rubber seal in the fittings themselves, so that don't care about the fuel. You only have to worry about hose compatability.

·
Registered
119 Posts
You were asking about the fittings originally. I use steel or stainless for fuel lines other than the flexible line to the engine. There you need a hose specifically designed to work with fuel. Contact the company and ask what they have . Don't get the cheapest available.

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
Screw stainless. Run nicopp line, double flare the ends, run a straight "push to connect" fitting, gates barricade fuel line, then anothrer straight "push to connect" on the engine side.

Simple, reliable, and clean setup. The nicopp is easier to work with and often cheaper (3/8).

I use aeroquip(eaton). Buy it once and never have leaks. Or buy earls/some summit twice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts