Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got a new angle finder from Speedway (their $9.95 special). After using if for a while (and actually setting my rear pinion angle with it) I discovered it might actually be giving false readings. But before I complain to customer service I just want to make sure I'm not making some sort of error in the way I'm using or reading the gauge.

The problem is I can place the angle finder horizontally on the rear frame crossmember, for example, and get a reading of zero degrees when the gauge face is pointing toward the rear of the vehicle. But if I turn the gauge 180 degree so the face is now pointing toward the from of the vehicle, and I put the finder in the exact same spot, I get a reading of 2 degrees of angle (a tilting of the frame from left to right).

My guess is the face of the gauge was not installed properly or not "dead centered" with the needle - or else the face somehow was damage during delivery. Anyhow, has another else had a similar problem and more importantly - a solution (short of returning the unit).

·
Registered
190 Posts
Mine's digital. Set it on the frame and push the set button - then turn it 180 degrees and push the button again. That sets zero. Very accurate. Set me back about 100 bux tho.

·
Just one of the guys
3,074 Posts
If you have a good framing level check it against that. Also is there a way to loosen the face to rotate it. I am kind of doubting it beings it is $9.95. If it is the type I am thinking, they are basically use for a reference gage and not for accuracy. If the face can be loosened then what you need to do is put the gage one direction and mark where the needle is. Turn the gage 180 and check the reading. Split the difference and set the gage at that point.

Kevin

·
or Jeff, or Doc, or...
989 Posts
Dewey-
Let me guess. "Made in China". We all know that they aren't playing on a "level field". OK, bad humor. Sorry to hear about your misfortune with that POS,though.
I had a similar Crapsman unit. Tried it once, and took it back. JUNK. That electronic unit doesn't sound too bad......

CAN'T A U.S. COMPANY MAKE ANYTHING ANYMORE, and cost less than the gross national product of Peru? :spank: :spank: :spank:

·
Just one of the guys
3,074 Posts
One thing to remember when leveling anything...level it to the floor. I try to stress this to people at work when they try to level something on top of the table of a mill. If the floor is out (tilted one way or another) and you level a chissis or whatever it is, then pull it out to some area that is level, you end up with said part tilted. Check the floor first. Garages in our neck of the woods are poured with a slope to them. Look at your foundation blocks. Higher at the rear of the garage and lower at the front to allow for water drainage. If you have a drain in the floor everything will slope to the middle. The slope may not be enough to make any difference but if you are getting down to one degree it will. That is why quite a few will build a frame on a frame table or jig. Just a suggestion.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts