Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
BackYardRacer
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i ran in to a set of old 305 heads good numbers 14014416 58cc chamber 165 intake ports free to me and i have a brand new set of 1.94 and 1.5 valves that my buddy told me i could have for fixing his computer what i want to know is are them heads going to be worth my time and money or should i just toss them in the pile with the rest of my old heads

I need to find some thing to do with all this old junk maybe junk yard it just keep collecting

·
BackYardRacer
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i dont know if some one put studs in them or if it came with them but they are all ready studed that was a suprise to me it dosent look like any thing ells was done to them they came off a 305 with flat to pistons stock that was a nothere little supprise to me

·
BackYardRacer
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i dont know what i'm going to do with them but i think i'll do them up and put them away some where till i find the right motor to put them on might swap my 487x on my 350 alittle trial and error see if i can get alittle bit more out of my 350 with more compression
e85 is a great fuel

·
Registered
15,347 Posts
backardracer said:
i ran in to a set of old 305 heads good numbers 14014416 58cc chamber 165 intake ports free to me and i have a brand new set of 1.94 and 1.5 valves that my buddy told me i could have for fixing his computer what i want to know is are them heads going to be worth my time and money or should i just toss them in the pile with the rest of my old heads

I need to find some thing to do with all this old junk maybe junk yard it just keep collecting
Back in the bleak emission years of the 1980s and early 90s the 416 head was a popular swap onto 350s with the mods you sight. It does a lot of what the high swirl modern heads do of getting the compression up, introducing a good swirl in the chamber. Probably the less than ideal aspects are that the spark plug isn't in the optimum position as seen with modern fast burn heads, the cylinder wall side is rather shrouded and not much can be done for that before discovering coolant, it lacks the beak between intake and exhaust valves that helps direct incoming charge away from the exhaust when both are open during overlap. So while lacking some of the refinements of modern fast burn heads, it does a darn good job compared to older open chamber smog heads. I'd call it pretty comparable to the L98 head when built for a 350. It won't do what a Vortec does largely because the Vortec moved the ports up, which on older heads there isn't enough meat in non-Vortec heads to lift the port far enough to be very effective in this regard.

These heads deserve better than the junk pile, they still are quite popular.

Bogie

·
Banned
9,993 Posts
I'm working on a set right now, ported them out, larger valves, 98212 or 98213 springs from Comp. Products, pinned studs, and you're ready to go.

They can surpass 400hp pretty easily if you're halfway decent with a grinder.

E1091-P is a great cheap cam kit that I feel matches these heads well when swapped on a 4 bolt 350. It'll require a little higher stall and other typical engine mods though- cheap hot street set up.

·
Registered
76 Posts
From someone on a Camaro site that did them with stock 1.84/1.50 valves

Int. Exh.
.050 31 15
.100 63 37
.200 116 78
.300 157 101
.400 182 107
.500 195 110

He ported them and installed 1.94 intake valves and got these numbers (rounded to nearest)

Int. Exh.
.050 29 25
.100 57 48
.200 122 100
.300 172 129
.400 201 147
.500 217 159

·
Banned
9,993 Posts
upstand2 said:
Anybody got some before or after ET's or Hp figures after swapping some 416's for 882's?
What bugs me the most is the new head gaskets cost as much as the 305 heads!
I got a set of Mr. Gasket thin gaskets for $6 shipped- check ebay, amazon, craigslist, etc.

Also, I figured out a great way to make flow maps of sorts. It cost me absolutley nothing (had all the supplies on hand) and the pictures do a great job illustrating waht can be done very easily to make a big difference. I have already started on my 416's which are in many of the photos I took of my contraption, but I also did it on some stock Vortecs I had lying around for comparison. As soon as I find the camera cord I'll do a little write up and post some pictures which I found quite insightful.

·
Registered
139 Posts
With such small chambers, dont you have to deshroud if you install larger valves? I know on older camel backs, when intalling larger 2.02 valves you had to deshroud or there would actually be a loss because the larger valves will now be sitting closer to the chamber wall.

·
Banned
9,993 Posts
F-BIRD'88 said:
I open up the chamber around the valve by about the same as the increase in valve radius increase.

Gauge it using a drill bit that just fits between the old stock valve (partially open)and the chamber wall. Use this drill bit as a gauge with the new larger valve in the chamber. relieve the chamber till the drill fits around the new valve. You don't need to get carried away.

Don't bother with 2.02's on this head.

I actaully spoke with Meaux about 2.02's- he recomended them but also noted that because of coolant jackets ony the top two cuts can be made, the bowl will have to be hand blended with care so you don't hit water- but it should help under .550" lift.

I used 1.94's but it would be interesting to see 2.02's. Maybe when I finish my flow bench I'll try it out.

·
BackYardRacer
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
thanks for all the info and the tip on deshrounding i new i had to do it just didnt know how far to go and i would really like to see what you get for flow number sounds like i may have ran in to a pretty fair head and just think i thot they were probly just another 305 oh ya if you have any more tips that you would like to shair it would be greatly appreciated

·
Banned
9,993 Posts
backardracer said:
thanks for all the info and the tip on deshrounding i new i had to do it just didnt know how far to go and i would really like to see what you get for flow number sounds like i may have ran in to a pretty fair head and just think i thot they were probly just another 305 oh ya if you have any more tips that you would like to shair it would be greatly appreciated

cleaning up the bowls is THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF ANY PORTING JOB. Spend your time and concentration there, and smooth out the valve guide some. The shrouding does make a difference but the biggest bang for your buck is in the first two inches on the otherside of the valve. I also believe in minimizing the pushrod restriction even on a mild street buid, but a lot of people say its not worth anything- funny thing is NONE of the aftermarket heads are as restricted there as stock chevy castings, the minimal CSA on a stock set of 416's is pretty small.

The ski jump on the port floor is another tricky area, fillin gin a little with welding or epoxy is helpful but not something most people want to bother doing, try to flatten out the jomp as much as you can- which means grinding in some areas and NOT grinding in some others (the valley of the jomp) It will never be perfect but you can improve it. DON'T take it down so far though that you begin loosing your short turn radius- its all about smoothing the curves.

·
Banned
1,971 Posts
well the 4416 are the only carb 305 heads i keep and use,. but it depends on what motor you want them for.,

would be better suited for a lower rpm smaller size engine however i have 1.94 valved and milled many pairs of these, and run them on many 350 engines and they run real strong off the line but not sure on higher rpm though.
because they dont have huge runners etc.

they are the best of the 305 carb heads. they arent crack prone and they are 58cc chambers

other than that they need work to make them flow decently etc.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.