1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rectangle Slope Plot Font Parallel
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

Hi People, Another cam question.
I have slowly been working on Z style frame that I'm putting under a 1947 Studebaker M5 pickup cab and bed. What I have so far is a 350 sbc , 880 roller block, 12 bolt 3.73 rear end, 28 in. tires and a TH 350 trans. The car will be relatively light as it will have no fenders an old school transverse front suspension I'm not worried about top end so much, what I really want is great acceleration. lol This is my 5 year project (already 2 years into it) I'm slow and old :D Anyhow some questions, 1: looking at AFR as cast heads 195 runners 252 flow at .500 or Blue Print with around the same numbers. or other suggestion 2: The cam I'm looking at is Comp XE 276 HR. I'll try to post the dyno sheet. With my setup do you think I can get the acceleration that I'm looking for? From what I can tell it looks like the flow numbers and cam lift will work. BogiesAnnex1 I hope you chime in as I really respect your opinion.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
That exact cam worked really good in an 880 block for me with Vortec Heads. If you have better flowing heads, a step up may do even better. I am no expert, but I was really happy with my little L31 that had that cam in it. It moved my 4020 pound truck down the 1/4 in 13.5 seconds, so yours should be quicker. It was a real blast to drive, and had a really nice sounding exhaust note at idle too.

·
Registered
15,298 Posts
Excellent choice.

Comp tests with S/R Torquer head’s so compared to better chambered aftermarket head’s their dyno runs tend to be about 35 to 40 horsepower short their torque numbers are pretty right on. Some of that is the S/R head peaks pretty early if it isn’t ported. With AFR or Blue Print head’s you should see that curve peak at 400 to 415 at 5800 to 6000 assuming the rest of their set up. A Performer RPM intake will improve that curve as well as would 1-3/4 inch headers. Valve train stability is also important, while most people go crazy over stiffer springs I put more attention into stiffer rocker studs, rockers and pushrods. Not that spring response isn’t important but a lot of top end problems are in wiggly valve train parts.

Bogie

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Excellent choice.

Comp tests with S/R Torquer head’s so compared to better chambered aftermarket head’s their dyno runs tend to be about 35 to 40 horsepower short their torque numbers are pretty right on. Some of that is the S/R head peaks pretty early if it isn’t ported. With AFR or Blue Print head’s you should see that curve peak at 400 to 415 at 5800 to 6000 assuming the rest of their set up. A Performer RPM intake will improve that curve as well as would 1-3/4 inch headers. Valve train stability is also important, while most people go crazy over stiffer springs I put more attention into stiffer rocker studs, rockers and pushrods. Not that spring response isn’t important but a lot of top end problems are in wiggly valve train parts.

Bogie
Thanks Bogie for ringing in, I have followed many posts and I always thought you were very clear and concise with your answers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts