Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Saw this over on the HAMB.

Here is a perfect example of a really cool little Model A. Unfortunately it's an accident waiting to happen. Check the second pic.

NO FRONT BRAKES!

It would be a shame for innocent people to die just because this guy wants his car to look "traditional". To his credit, he does claim to have front brakes for it but that doesn't mean he'll put them on, especially since he says it's been on the street for a few weeks already. Sure hope he does though.

·
Lost in the 60's
15,292 Posts
The guy that built that might be like some of the guys that ask questions on this site and then they don't like the answers because what you tell them costs money and they all say they are on a budget. All I gotta say is always leave room in the budget for safe steering, good safe brakes, and good safe suspension. If you got to cheap out to save money then cut the cost on something else besides those three things.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Hopefully something no more tragic than a near miss will convince him that it's time for front binders.

I don't like some of the trends I'm seeing in Hot Rodding lately. A prime example being the "rat rod" I saw on one of the Hot Rod shows on Spike this morning. Don't know if anyone else saw it, an inverted beer bottle used as a fuel level guage (cowl fuel tank) and it was INSIDE the car from what I saw. Yeah that's what I want a glass container of gas anywhere around me or my car.

I'm in my mid 50's and been involved with hot rods for 40 years now. I've had a few people I knew die because of poorly executed cars. It bothers me A LOT to see things we know are grossly unsafe to be not only condoned but applauded by some people.

·
Race The Truck
675 Posts
Question was not the point to remove the front breaks so when rolling in to a turn your front brakes would not lock up causing a skid. I know that old school.
We did it on dune buggies but we had cutting brakes to pull you though the turn.

Craig

·
Registered
605 Posts
Henry Highrise said:
The guy that built that might be like some of the guys that ask questions on this site and then they don't like the answers because what you tell them costs money and they all say they are on a budget. All I gotta say is always leave room in the budget for safe steering, good safe brakes, and good safe suspension. If you got to cheap out to save money then cut the cost on something else besides those three things.
For sure. 500 horses can move, but they won't be around long if they can't stop.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Why do these guys act like it's a sin to have front brakes? It can't be for budget reasons because my budget is so small it's not funny, but being able to stop was always a factor. How do you not save for something that will save your life?

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The more I think about it, this guy may not be totally forthcoming about his "front brakes". I know a lot of people used to like to run single MC's but today there is no reason to be that careless, unless of course you really aren't planning on front brakes at all.

·
Registered
20 Posts
talk Is Cheap Fellows. If This Time Bomb Was On The Streets Cruising Around My Friends & Family I Would Be The First To Pull Him Over, Give Him A Warning & Explain To Get That Piece Of Crap Off The Road Till It Is Safe It Is Not Cool It Is Stupid. I Would Find Out Just Who He Is His License # And A Few Pictures Of The Car & Head Straight To Local Police Department. What Is The Difference, What Would You Do If This Guy Was Waving A Loaded Machine Gun Around A Playground Full Of Grandkids, Shake Your Finger At Him! Get This Ahole Off The Road Before It Is Too Late.
Donzie

·
Registered
257 Posts
".....The more I think about it, this guy may not be totally forthcoming about his "front brakes"........"

I tend to agree centerline, brakes are such an intergral part of a build that who would go through the assembly only to take things apart again and install the brake parts and then run lines.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
It is a nice ryde, but its ahe will die in it more than likely.
Is those pipes legal? Look like they would be attention getters to the law to?? Hg

·
Get in, sit down, hang on
2,785 Posts
I agree with those of you that think he planned it this way ... and that it's not a question of money.

Look at the detail. He probably spent more in masking tape that what it would have cost for brakes. :rolleyes:

·
DETAILING GOD
4,266 Posts
With the front wheels sticking out 1st & foremost {NO BUMPER} any type of abstruxtion is going to roll over or be deflected {provided they can hold onto the steering wheel} into a flip of some sort.

A concrete divider would be hell in that thing :pain:

Soo.. with the front wheels in the air .... front brakes are not necessary.

SR66 :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
4,097 Posts
FordMan1951 said:
Are my eyes correct? Did he use sheet metal for the shock mounts?

What detail, what fore thought. What lack of real auto knowledge does this guy have?
That is how Speedway makes those "nostalgia friction shocks".
It looks like cheesy sheetmetal but the metal is about 1/8" or so.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/p/76,,_Nostalgia-Friction-Shock.html?itemNo=135-6021

No front brakes is stupid though. I don't like the single type master cylinder either.

I know a dual wouldn't look right on the firewall, because I'm sure it needed to adhere to some "traditional" build guidelines, but I would have used a dual anyway.

Are there any other pics? All the rest of the car does look like a cool ride.

later,
Mikey

1 - 20 of 118 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.