Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 68 cougar has a 302 " 74 engine " i just put it in over the winter. it is running EXTREAMELY " rich , when i do get it running it leaves black marks on the ground. today i checked oil was way over full , it had " GAS " in the oil.
when running you can almost watch the gas gauge go down.
this carb was given to me , i rebuilt it over the winter with the kit from holley. i then took it a freind who is good with carbs to go thru it and make sure it was right. he set the air / fuel screws and the only thing he found was just a bit of old gasket in a couple of internal passages.

should i just forget this carb and buy new ? iam very frustraded with it and don't want to ruinen the engine by spinning bearings.

·
Just stuck
435 Posts
What model carb do you have? Where is your float level set at? Did you check it to make sure the float is good? Is it brass? Power valve good? What size PV is in it? What are your jet sizes? Anymore more questions? :D

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
humm, model 4160 , float level set according to instructions and checked by carb guy, i haven't rechecked them, power valve is new , i think it is a 21 , not sure of jet size what ever came with the carb.

thanks for asking the questions.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
JeffB said:
I am running this on my 302,working excellent, I have a spare for sale in classifieds pm me if interested.Carb has the kickdown linkage for the C4.

thanks for the offer / i'll see how i make out with this carb first ,see if it needs replaced.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.