Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to all:
Chevrolet 355 rebuilt. Have so many long bolts...most are marked but somewhat the oil pump bolt is mixed with the others. It looks like a head bolt fits...
Other than a dealer, who sells it? Does it have washers?
What about the torque 45, 55 or 65 ft/lbs?

Sorry to bother and thanks in advance for all your help,
Jose

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
airjose said:
You got it! I will also look at machine shops. I am assuming that it has a washer.
Actually, no washer. The correct bolt looks just like a main cap bolt.

You might consider using a stud (ARP, etc.- made for the purpose, in other words) and nut.

EDIT- The bolt is 2-1/4" long, from under the head.

·
Registered
9,050 Posts
Actually there are two different length oil pump bolts for SBC. The two piece rear main seal blocks get a longer bolt than the one piece seal blocks. If you use too long of a bolt it will bottom against the rear main bearing shell and damage the bearing/crank surfaces..

·
More for Less Racer
20,926 Posts
the nitro man said:
doesn't the bolt that holds the oil pump on torque to 35 fpt?
No, it torques to 60-65 ft.lbs. Size of the bolt determines the torque, not what it is holding down. Since this bolt is the same as the short head and main bolts, the torque is pretty much the same.

35 ft.lbs. and you are asking it to vibrate loose and fall off.

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
Actually there are two different length oil pump bolts for SBC. The two piece rear main seal blocks get a longer bolt than the one piece seal blocks. If you use too long of a bolt it will bottom against the rear main bearing shell and damage the bearing/crank surfaces..
The early 2-pc. rear seal blocks have a 2" bolt length, the 2-1/4" length I quoted is for the later "non-blind" oil pump bolt hole used on the 1-pc. seal engines.

2-pc. seal rear main caps have blind holes. Over tightening the oil pump bolt will not drive the bolt into the backside of the bearing shell, but could distort the cap and also cause a fatal loss of oil pressure due to the pump not being tight to the cap.

As said, an ARP stud/nut will solve the problem, as well as eliminate pulling the threads- although I've personally never had that problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.