Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys my name is Jay and I'm from Red Deer alberta. My future project will be a 27 T-bucket tub, still debating what kind of frame. Flat black cheater slicks white walls and something really different for a motor and suspension wise. Hope to learn alot from everyone on this forum and hope to have something running by next fall.

Later
Jay

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm going to be going most likely with a 32 roadster frame as beefed up as I can but no 4 doors i don't think it'll even have doors it'll just be a step up to the tire and jump in hehe. As for building many vehicles i'm just starting my modifications. I'm actually trying to finish another project which is an 11 sec omni glh. And i'm only 18 so not to much fabrication so far but thats starting to change. But I will be doing as much fab as I can since the engine setup will be completly different from everything else anyone has seen.

Jay

·
Footstomper
271 Posts
Are you gonna put a diesel in it? That really would be unusual, my wife has a Passat, we considered the diesel, but figured we would have to drive it 7 years before it would start paying for the difference. It has gotten up to 42 mpg, they say the diesel gets about 50. I have a friend with a 1925 Maxwell tub, (yes a four door). He is going to just use the front half and add a 25 buick turtle deck, he may use a cadillac 390, or a 48' Cadillac flathead V-8.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
your friend sounds like he has an interesting project. Yes I'm putting a diesel but I won't tell you what kind because that would ruin all my fun hehe. I'll just tell you this it will need very good suspension in the front so it will be a very different bucket from the norm thats for sure. Well since i'm at it you may know this question. Can you get a 27 t bucket without the turtle deck so just the tub.

thanks
Jay

·
Footstomper
271 Posts
Yeah! You can get a steel rust bucket or a glass bucket without a deck, you have me thinking about this diesel, let me guess. Its from a WWII German U- boat? You could lean across the cowl squirting the valves with an oil can. Just kidding!

·
Footstomper
271 Posts
You being and 18 year old is a good time to consider this as a step towards an engineering degree. For me, math was only interesting when I could see the final product, there is also the safety factor for not only yourself, but others on the road. Henry Ford built basic frames until he got envolved with airplanes, about the time the 32' V8 ford came along, you could see how he added cross members with lightweight metal pieces riveted together for maximum strength. Just like his Ford Tri-motor plane, which came out in the 20's. I would consult a structural engineer for the best way to go with it, it may be one of your dad's friend or a older friend finishing his engneering degree to teach you theory and some formulas. It will help you all your life. Currently, I am considering a 550 ft lbs of torque with 400 hp Cadillac 500 for my 40 ford coupe. I am carefully weighing my strategy before actually doing it. I have a 305 v-8 with about 330 hp. It is fast but idles rough. I want quiet, smooth power and reliability. I hope it works out good for you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm actually looking at getting into engineering but I need to upgrade a few classes right now to even try my hand at getting in. As for designing the chassis i'm planning on starting with a 32 model A frame built for drag racing and go from there. Most people tell me i'm crazy and some love the idea so i'm going to see where it goes and hopefully have something running some day just to say I did it. As for motors I think you should go with the 500 caddy motor its something different and would be nice to see more of instead of all the chevy small blocks.

later
jay

·
Footstomper
271 Posts
I work with alot of engineers and wish I had chosing that career. I fabricate all that I work on, rarely order any aftermarket stuff, but in the long run, the aftermarket has a better product by the time you spend a week designing and welding, buying scrap metal. I sometimes believe that alot of aftermarket stuff is designed to sell you more aftermarket stuff that you could get by without them. I ask alot of questions before ordering anything. I am considering a bolt on mustang II front end from Chassis Engineering Inc., but I fear the requirements that go with it, such as recessed firewall, or new radiator mount, the car may sit too low for my taste, and I may have to be faced with 4.5 or 4.75 lub constraints. My car has the factory 40 ford wheels, they are 5.5. How will it turn with the new style rack and pinion and will the wheels clear the 6.50 x 16 40 ford wheels in the fender well. There are alot of factors to consider. I picked up the complete Cadillac 500 with the turbo 400 last night, thats a lot of room lost in my garage. Let me know if you have suggestions.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.