Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

Good Morning!

I searched all of the Threads on Oil Pumps, and I am more confused than ever-some guys say go High Volume, some say HIgh Pressure, some say use both if you have a Stroker, etc., etc.

So, I am asking about my combination (454 Gen VI (Roller Cam), Eagle 4.25 4340 Stroker Crank (not cross drilled). This is for street use (maybe once or twice to the Track).

I hear the concerns about the new Melling Pump, so what are the other choices? Sounds like the Moroso is a modified Mellings, so they are out-

Does anybody know who makes the GM Pump (the reason I ask is that I work for a Company that has two GM Dealerships so I get GM parts reasonably cheap).

Another queston is, I have bought most all of my Engine Parts now except the Oil Pump, Pistons, Cam and Lifters, figuring that I will buy those from the Machine Shop (wanting him to make some Profit)-how do the Machine Shop guys feel about someone showing up with new a Crank, Rods, Fluidamper, Edelbrock Heads, Intake, Rod and Main Bearings and so on?

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
7,624 Posts
Watch out for the standered version of the melling pump. It'a made from less expensive metal these days. Get the High performance one for the origianl design. I've heard a few racers breaking oil pumps when they bought one at the local part's house.

Most shops don't care but you labor rates will go up. Others just measure the part's you brought in amd make sure they are correct. If they aren't you are stuck shipping it back and fighting to get a replacement. In most cases, the shop can get new part's overnight and you will never know he got a bunch of wrong ones.

·
Banned
1,680 Posts
Go to the M-Select pumps and here is a good link to look at and of the 383 we have built we have always used standard Volume high pressure pumps with no problems. And they tend to run very good oil pressure but we line hone all our blocks go through the rods and if the cam bearings bores are on the high side we line bore the cam tunnel for the proper clearance.

http://data.melling.com/Select/small_block_chevy.php

·
Registered
420 Posts
when you get your new pump, carefully disassemble it, & dress all of the sharp edges...just a light touch with some emery cloth will do. check the plate & gears, make sure they are flat, as well as the housing. Clean thoroughly, oil parts & reassemble

·
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
5,617 Posts
In my opinion, a high pressure pump would be a waste in your engine. Too much potential for blowing a filter when its cold and you don't need it. You won't be spinning past about 6000 probably, so as long as you make 10 psi per 1000 rpm you're good.

I used a high volume pump in my 467 but it wasn't necessary. I just felt a little better.

If anything; high volume, not high pressure.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts