Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok couple of things. I was going to all the different part stores in my area to get a set of plugs for the beast. I needed to get something shorter than what I have (ACDELCO is so freaking long it could burn your boot on a header that's 3' away). First of all the guys at every store kept asking me "what car is it in?"

"its all aftermarket stuff man, I have the part number, can you just look up the part number PLEASE."

I should go teach a freaking class.

OK, the second thing. WHy is it that I'm standing in line and the phone rings, the guy on the phone gets answered before I fking do?! WTF, I'm standing right in front of you, waiting to buy a part from your store, and you have the gull to blow me off for some douchebag who probably won't even show up? Am I the only one who gets pissed about that?!

K

·
Beats pickin' cotton
117 Posts
That burns we as well, when you are being waited on and they pick up the phone and take care of them first. Um, hello!

·
Tazz
2,048 Posts
The old time parts counter guys....

are all dead or retired so the kids need a year and car to refer to...no sense of what will work but what the system calls for. I have an 82 SBC 350/355 and needed plugs so I tell the counter guy its in a 53 chevy and his eye brow raises when I tell him it was an option in 53 anyway I tell him the engine is out of and 82 Chevy, he says what kind of chevy...like it matters and I say OK an Impala and he takes forever to find me the plugs and while your at it, I say,"get me a set of plug wire too," what year car he asks..."The 53 chevy I tell him", again??? Its part of the hobby I guess...dealing with inept counter people......and they pay these guys like $5 bucks and hr....what do you expect a brain surgeon??? God forbid one of these guy is actually a mechanic...no way! Gotta bite your tongue and deal with it! I wonder if it would help to give them a note...typed out and all with the information to refer to...probably not??

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!

·
Member# 3287
2,625 Posts
There's nothing better than a real parts man. Thank God my local Chevy dealer has some guys that understand "HYBRID" and are willing to pull out actual parts books for the older stuff.

My classic AutoZone story is the time I asked for exhaust manifold gaskets for a small block. The young kid naturally asked, "What year?". I told him to pick a year which resulted in a blank stare. I then told him '67. He launched into his computer and then told me it was a special order item. I left.

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah or when you say "dude, they're all the same, just an intake gasket for a sbc... PLEASE.

"ha ha ha" they say "yeah we hear that all the time and people come back with the wrong parts."

I mean, when the motor is the most mass produced engine on the face of the planet... maybe it would be a good thing to be a little familiar with it... maybe.

K

·
Heart Breaker and Life Taker
174 Posts
Been there,sorta. Needed the codes pulled from my truck,called one autozone and the kid said '89 is too old,they only read '96 and up. I'm like,ooooookkkkkk. I called anouther one a little farther down the road and a older gentlmen answered and he said,yea,we read '89. Bring it in. No charge.

·
Beats pickin' cotton
117 Posts
For my 66' Lemans I need to ask for 67' stuff because the book doesn't cover 66'. Only goes as far back as 67'.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
109 Posts
killerformula said:
When the motor is the most mass produced engine on the face of the planet... maybe it would be a good thing to be a little familiar with it... maybe.

K
Rule of thumb: Don't deal with the counter help that is younger than your car.

·
current hot rod: CTS-V
1,821 Posts
I have a rant

In 03', in the last week of December, I bought new rotors and wheel bearings for my moms Caprice, they gave me 12 inch rotors for the police package by mistake. I came back with them on January 3rd. A price change occurred at the 03' to 04' switch. Now I had to pay $13 more for the 11 inch rotors they should have sent me home with a week ago, prior to price increase. The fact that they wanted me to pay the new price for the rotors I should have been sold before the price hike caused a problem. I told the manager if his people had been smart enough to give me the right rotors last week I wouldn't be paying extra for them now, and that I should pay what the price was prior to the price increase. The manager was a dick and said I would have to identify the specific person who gave me the wrong rotors. I told him to blow me, and I left.

This happend at Pep Boys.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
killerformula said:
yeah or when you say "dude, they're all the same, just an intake gasket for a sbc... PLEASE.

K
Then you won't be pissed when I give you gaskets for an engine with vortech heads. :D The port openings don't line up and they don't have the two center bolt holes.

You won't mind having to pull the heads back off the big block because you got late model gaskets and it's dumping water in the oil.

You're gonna have a hard time making that one piece rear seal work on a '70 block.

I'm not trying to bust anybodys chops. You have to understand that corporations are only concerned with lowering payroll dollars and making damn sure that every store looks like a United Nations meet and greet. That's it.

They don't give a big flying fart if a fella knows how to change the oil in his own car. They are only concerned with his ability to read, ask questions, push buttons and answer the phone.

We are instructed to answer the phone regardless of who's in front of us. If your supervisor calls and you do not answer within three rings, somebody's gettin' yelled at. They take that crap seriuosly.

Lastly, Why should anyone give a hoot about what the problem with your car is? I care because I'm just that way and I get paid a somewhat decent wage. I grew up reading parts catalogs and memorizing part numbers. It's easy for me.

The majority of the people in these stores are paid chit wages. They work two part time jobs to make ends meet. Companies like these don't want the expense of paying for benefits so they won't hire any more full time people than they have to. What incentive does a guy making $150 a week have to learn about the business and do a better job?

Think about that the next time you walk into a parts store.

Larry

·
Registered
24 Posts
the best had to be i go to good year there
having a tire sale. i bring my N-90's with me
in my pick up. i park it by the bay door the
kid at the counter see's me pull up
i walk in and tell him i want 2 235/50/16's
and 2 255/60/15's he asked me for what
i told my rims.
he then go's ahead and tells me
the tires on my truck are larger then that
so i tell him the rims are in the bed of my truck
they send two guys out to get the rims
about a half hour later the call me to the counter
and have the balls to charge me for mounting the
rims.
i ask what did you mount the rims to???
(the sale price is only good if the car comes to
the store ) :nono:

·
Come Home Safe Soldier
846 Posts
Killer,it sounds like you were at Auto Zone.I believe the company creed is "Dont worry about paying customers,talk on the phone to customers who may not come in."
There is a little hole in the wall I go to because when 6 Ford dealers and several BIGGER parts houses here could not get a H2O pump for my SHO,this guy DID.They all said it would take sevral weeks to get and 1 Ford dealer told me There was one in Cincy if I wanted to drive up and get it.This guy got it for me thru MOOG in less trhan 2 hours.That is the only guy I ll see for parts,regardless of cost.Great service costs a little more,but it is definently worth it.

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah I was at the zone. ANd coldknock, I know to specify anything earlier than 87;)

Anyway, one of my friends called me tonight and said "hey man, if the phone don't ring, the door don't swing."

good point.

·
Tazz
2,048 Posts
are we talking good counter help here?

The Zone I deal with is pretty good but the guys there are accustom to me coming in looking for parts for my 37 Dodge or my 53 Chevy and they just want to know what year car they are searching for parts from not to. It took a while to get them to understand I can put newer car parts on my older car and get away with it.

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
killerformula said:
yeah I was at the zone. ANd coldknock, I know to specify anything earlier than 87;)
I gave you that much credit, I was just pointing out that they aren't all the same for any newbies.

Larry

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
killerformula said:
do a bunch of dipasses work at your store?
Yep, two highschool kids, two retired fellas and one chick bartender. All part time

The store manager is a poorly trained goon. Me, the commercial parts man, and one the retired fellas of are the only people there with any knowledge of cars at all. The rest of them, including the store manager, are just goons.

Larry

PS,

Goons = A goon is someone that does nothing unless they are told to. They do not solve problems without a manual. They do nothing without first contacting a superior and inquiring about what needs to be done. That superior must then consult the superiors guide to managing goons and call back later with an answer.

In summary, a goon is a trained monkey that talks.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts